Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

User

Default Re: Jackal control myths

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    ALL papers by nearly the same authors / Same institution
    Yeah, sorry for that, it's my mate who did his PhD on the subject, so just sent his papers. There are others about

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Banned

Arrow Re: Jackal control myths

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    While I am sure the research exists, you really shouldn’t confuse hunting with pest control.
    Natural predator -- Pest
    Freedom Fighter - Terrorist

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Jackal control myths

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    Yeah, sorry for that, it's my mate who did his PhD on the subject, so just sent his papers. There are others about
    Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
    No problem
    IF your mate is still around perhaps he / she would like to tel us the end result of the study / studies ..

Banned

Arrow Re: Jackal control myths

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Black backed jackal eat meat. They do not distinguish between natural prey and non natural prey. For a black backed jackal born and raised on a sheep farm, sheep lambs are natural prey. Jackal, like all predators, are opportunists. So, a jackal is not going to walk past a merino lamb and start searching for a scrub hare because he considers the hare to be natural prey. Catching a scrub hare is a lot more effort for a lot less meat.

Predators hunt to survive, they do not practice ethical hunting as we understand it. Sure, in times of plenty they might be picky or, especially if it is a cat, will slaughter just for fun but mostly they hunt because they need to eat. There is very little room for being picky in nature. Also, that jackal (or caracal, or leopard, or whatever) does not live by rules made by humans, it does not know that catching a sheep lamb or goat kid is "wrong" and catching a hare or steenbok is the proper thing to do.
    ONLY proper detailed research with enough data to build statistical models that can be interrogated will prove or disprove such single / simple observations
    It is the difference between archival documentation -- and -- Oral [remembering] history.

User

No offence -- perhaps you have little experience of proper wildlife management ?
    In my day we used -- "gifskieters" for which one went on a course and got a license

Indeed
    The first thing science teaches is "measurement"
    You have to know what you are working with and you have to be able to "measure" / "quantify"
    SO
    One looks and learns and designs a research protocol once you have worked out what you need to discover
    and
    HOW you are going to obtain the data needed for the study
    and
    HOW that data needs to be interpreted

I imagine a detailed intensive year long study on a family of Jackal where they are tagged and collared and their movements and activities are mapped
    Would go a long way in understanding their dynamics.
    Perhaps someone has done this already ?

It is sad that there is no-one doing research in your area
    Every farmer is doing research every farmer know how much livestock was lost to jackal and how much to caracal. The data is there just because it was not written up in the correct format does not invalidate the data. As per usual the private industry are again miles and miles ahead of the academic community. The shit they try to research now while spending millions of rands from the NRF was allready learned by farmers after one season of farming livestock decades ago. I am afraid what the scientific method has become today is 99% bullshit and 1% cowshit especially when it comes from conservation and biology fields. Seriously the shit that passes as research papers today makes me ashamed of being a biologist and also laugh at the idea that we are somehow an intelligent species

User

ONLY proper detailed research with enough data to build statistical models that can be interrogated will prove or disprove such single / simple observations
    It is the difference between archival documentation -- and -- Oral [remembering] history.
    Lol

User

Of course. Spending a year researching something always beats living with that same thing for a lifetime. Just like a childless person can study raising a child for a couple of years and then advise people who actually raise children on how to raise children.

User

I'd be the first to acknowledge that just shooting jackal is a crude method, but I would also admit there is nothing natural about the scenario, it's just a man made solution to a man made problem, nothing natural about the problem or solution.

That is why the suggestion from some to just live with them is laughable, they are not the ones picking up the pieces the next day. If I can just have a greenie with me the day we try and clean maggots from a wound, or cutting the throat if the animal is beyond saving, maybe then the'll understand real world data differs from the books, when they are done puking.

Anyways, when it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then by modern logic it must be a platypus.

User

Many years ago I worked as a research analyst in a petrochemical refinery's laboratory, my job was to gather data, write reports and occasionally carry out experiments for researchers. Currently, I work on a conservation project which several scientists from various countries are involved in. So I am not entirely unfamiliar with either research or scientists and I do respect the discipline and effort involved. But sometimes I wonder.

Anyway, other peoples problems are always easier to solve than your own. People who loudly condemn farmers for killing predators causing millions of Rand of damage, casually poison rodents in and around their homes for causing far less damage. The moment it starts eating into your budget the problem becomes much more personal and suddenly solutions that seemed unreasonable become acceptable.

Oh, and I actually quite like jackal, they are hardy, focused, efficient, intelligent, bad-assed canines and I often fall asleep, or wake, to their haunting calls. That does not stop me from hunting them though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast