Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Charging my alarm backup battery using solar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    I don't fully agree with you. The way I was taught: If in parallel the most fully charged battery will have the lowest internal resistance and thereby it will always be charged more than the flatter battery. It would have been perfect it it worked other way around but pity a lead acid battery doesn't work that way..
    You are not taking into account that the battery with the greater charge also has a higher voltage which acts to "resist" the charger more than the battery with the lower charge.

That being said excluding the charger as soon as you connect the two batteries in parallel the one with the higher voltage (and hence charge) will force current into the other pretty much charging it until both battery's are at the same voltage. At this point they act as one battery with double capacity. Obviously though it will take double the energy to charge them too.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

I connected a 110ah deep cycle battery directly to the alarm box. It gets charged by the original alarm power pack. It has been working like that for 2 years now. No problems even after two sessions of stage four shedding in one day.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Anyone DIY a solar charger for your alarm battery? I’m looking for guidance to set mine up. Is is as simple as connecting a panel to a regulator to the existing battery? What about the built in charging from the alarm system? Should I rather put it a bigger battery while I’m about it?
    Hi. I supply DIY kits to convert your alarm backup battery to solar. It provides everything you need for the installation to a 12V, 7Ah battery:
    - 30W solar panel
    - charge controller with patch wires (to battery)
    - 7m of pre-terminated wire to connect the solar panel to the charge controller

The kit costs R650, excl. Delivery.

I also provide a 50W option for larger batteries (recommend 12V 18Ah) at R850 excl. Delivery.

You can also email me at support(at)zamake(dot)co(dot)za for free support on any solar installations.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Aidanz View Post
    I connected a 110ah deep cycle battery directly to the alarm box. It gets charged by the original alarm power pack. It has been working like that for 2 years now. No problems even after two sessions of stage four shedding in one day.
    This is interesting. Being ignorant of the ways of the angry pixies I had assumed that the system's charger would lack the capacity to charge a big battery. Your two years of operation would suggest not. I have a standalone battery box for my dual battery system in my bakkie which, if this worked on my systems, could go into the cupboard and be on permanent trickle charge while keeping the alarm system happy.

User

Its still working perfectly. I have not had a low battery sms for years now.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

User

Did u guys get answers on your solar fore alarm and gate motors

We do them regularly we have a lot of alarms with solar backups

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2