Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default What Distance to Zero

I'm planning on zeroing my 7x64 now that's its approved. Originally I was just going to zero at 100m as normal. I've had some suggestions that 200m may make better sense with the 7x64.

I'm out of my lane here, so suggestions would be appreciated.

User

Default Re: What Distance to Zero

Zero at 100m, chrony the rounds, shoot at 200m, measure the drop to verify the adjustment recommended by whatever ballistic app / tool you're using.

User

Not an expert by n long shot but here is my take on it. I zero my .308 at 200m as I feel more comfortable to aim off 2 inches on 100m and have it dead on at 200m so no corrections needed.

Not sure if my explanation makes sense....

User

I prefer 25m for zero at 200m which is about 1.5inch high at 100 and about 4-8inch low at 300m. With playing on ballistic calculators this is about the average over the popular calibers.

How far do you want to shoot? If you are going to the Kalahari then 400m zero makes more sense.

User

What works for me is to sight in/zero at 100m. Almost all ranges/farms will have 100m range, wind etc will have little or no effect, so your zero is as "true" as your setup and abilities allow.

Hunting bushveld- leave zero at 100m

Plains hunting-zero at 100m, but dial elevation to 200m(calculate max point blank range and fine tune if necessary). We normally shoot a 100mm gong at 200m to confirm elevation setting. Setup should be good out to 250-ish metres for shot aimed at vitals. Longer shots will need holdover/further elevation adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by vinmarvin View Post
    Not an expert by n long shot but here is my take on it. I zero my .308 at 200m as I feel more comfortable to aim off 2 inches on 100m and have it dead on at 200m so no corrections needed.

Not sure if my explanation makes sense....
    It makes sense, but as I found last week in the EC, it's harder to under-aim than hold over a little bit. Hence me preferring 100m, and then knowing I need 0.9MRAD for 200m, and 1.5MRAD for 300m. Obviously the scope markings need to be calibrated to your magnification if it's SFP, or just run a FFP scope.

User

What bullet at what speed? If it's a boat-tail spitzer at anything around 2700 and up, just zero at 200m. You'll be ~5-6cm high at 100m, and ~7.5cm low at 230m.

That means you wont have to worry about ranging and aiming off (speaking only trajectory here, not wind) under most hunting conditions and distances (regardless of bush or plains conditions)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    What bullet at what speed? If it's a boat-tail spitzer at anything around 2700 and up, just zero at 200m. You'll be ~5-6cm high at 100m, and ~7.5cm low at 230m.

That means you wont have to worry about ranging and aiming off (speaking only trajectory here, not wind) under most hunting conditions and distances (regardless of bush or plains conditions)
    If they shot straight its going to be the 140gr Barnes VORTX at a nominal 2980fps

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Zero at 100m, chrony the rounds, shoot at 200m, measure the drop to verify the adjustment recommended by whatever ballistic app / tool you're using.
    Ballistics app? You overestimate me good sir.

User

Quote Originally Posted by flyinggun View Post
    I prefer 25m for zero at 200m which is about 1.5inch high at 100 and about 4-8inch low at 300m. With playing on ballistic calculators this is about the average over the popular calibers.

How far do you want to shoot? If you are going to the Kalahari then 400m zero makes more sense.

Honestly don't see myself being confident to shoot much past 200 at this stage

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast