Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    User

Default Re: What Distance to Zero

That 3/4 of an inch difference between the two types of ammo means the rifle is completely broken.

I'll take it off your hands and dispose of it responsibly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    That 3/4 of an inch difference between the two types of ammo means the rifle is completely broken.

Now I know where your forum name comes from.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post

Seems legit

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Got it sighted in today.

Only managed to shoot at 100 but I was very happy with it. Sighted it in about an inch high.

Interestingly the 173gr S&B SPCE and the 140gr Barnes Vortx shot to the same elevation. The Barnes shot about three quarters on an inch right of the S&B.

Both put three rounds a thumbnail apart on a few groups.

I initially got it on paper at 25m. An inch low there gave me the inch high at 100. Didn’t have to touch the elevation.
    This is good news. The groups are better than many experienced shooters. Accuracy is more than enough for hunting.

The only thing necessary is to enjoy practicing

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Blank your mind off. Forget about ballistic charts,drop sheets,bullet BC's,nodes and all that other clap trap.

Just sight your rifle in so that the bullets impact 2 inches high at 100m...finish and klaar.
    Then shoot a couple of shots at 200 and a couple of shots at 300m and note where the bullets impact.

Now you will find that at 25m you will maybe be an inch low,at 100m 2 inches high,at 200m an inch or so low again and about 10 inches low at 300m.[just an arbitary eg]

There is nothing else to do...that is it.....no dialing in,mill rad hold overs and all that rubbish.Keep it simple and enjoy.

If you decide that you want to shoot gongs at 400-500m plus and up,then other factors come into play.Untill then.ignore all this ballistic info and just enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Normal hunting...from at your feet distance to 'bout 300m.
    In 50 years of hunting,9 years professionally,i have never [not even once] 'dialled' in my scope for a specific distance to shoot an animal. The time to sight in your rifle and fiddle with your scope is on the range.
    A simple 3-9 power with a simple duplex reticle is what is needed.
    Besides changing magnification to suite terrain,some of my scopes have not needed any fiddling with elevation or windage in many years.
    Hold over mill dot reticles,focus adjustments,moerse big objective lenses and star gazing high magnification are totally un-needed for hunting.
    Yes,use a range finder,know where your rifle shoots to 300m and you are good to go.
    I have said this before.....if the animal looks close,aim low on the shoulder...if the animal looks far,aim high on the shoulder...if you feel the need to aim over the animals back or think you must start dialing in for distance,then don't shoot..it is too far.
    Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I would zero at 200m, it will work for heart/lung shots from powder burn range to close to 250m at the velocity you mentioned . And, as Messor said, confirm with an empirical test.
    The above is practical, time tested advice.
    Nice choice of calibre.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Got it sighted in today.

Only managed to shoot at 100 but I was very happy with it. Sighted it in about an inch high.
    So you zeroed at about 160m.

Seems you did listen to me after all :)

User

At 100m chances are they'll shoot at much the same height. Just do not expect that they'll continue following that same trajectory. The 140gr will shoot a lot faster and a lot flatter, meaning the POI will shift quite a bit as you go further (which you're not, right now).

Good zeroing distance. What was your groups like?

Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    Zeroing the rifle is the easy part. Going hunting and then knowing how far your intended target is, is the harder part.
    I always over estimate the distance, I'm considering a rangefinder

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gatiep View Post
    I always over estimate the distance, I'm considering a rangefinder
    Best investment any hunter can make! That and a pair of good binoculars.
    Knowing your distances reduces your chance of wounding, which in turn improves your confidence and makes you a better hunter/shooter.

Rangefinders are cheap in comparison to paying for a wounded animal that got away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

We are where we are, we live in the times we live in. Binoculars, range finder and shooting sticks like it or not you need them.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast