Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    We are where we are, we live in the times we live in. Binoculars, range finder and shooting sticks like it or not you need them.
    No,even though our most experienced hunters use range finders, I cannot bring myself to hunt with them.
    If I cannot get within mpbr then what am I doing?

Ag perhaps I am just old school, but I will leave the tech stuff for the next gen.

User

Default Re: What Distance to Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    No,even though our most experienced hunters use range finders, I cannot bring myself to hunt with them.
    If I cannot get within mpbr then what am I doing?

Ag perhaps I am just old school, but I will leave the tech stuff for the next gen.
    I'm crap at judging distances to larger animals... somehow got calibrated on springbok, so I tend to underestimate the distance to bigger things. A rangefinder in the hands of the PH just helps to tell me that I am within MPBR.

Banned

I like to confirm any shot thats out of the bush, open plains over valleys etc
    We play a lot with distance guessing, I was out by 110 m recently - after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I like to confirm any shot thats out of the bush, open plains over valleys etc
    We play a lot with distance guessing, I was out by 110 m recently - after all these years.
    I wàs right recently to 30m. At a braai in mountains and theres a troop of baboons across a deepish valley. So how far you reckon the watchman is away game starts. Ex artillery leutie friend guesses 400m. I think to myself well its just over about 3 rugby fields there and guess 350. Non hunting friends says no you guys, thats at least 500m away.
    Both me and ex off say nah optical illusion from the valley.
    Range finder comes out. Its 320 dead.
    Anyways I by no means get it right but with practise yes I can guess fairly accurately the closer things. And if you know the border fence lenght and guess well its about a 3rd of that. Or often with load development you get used to a 100yrd or 200yrd target pre season.

Banned

I just admit that guessing right is just that - guessing, but like Gary said - the more I practice the luckier i get.
    Luck has never been all that reliable - Range Finder.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10