Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: What Distance to Zero

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Ballistics app? You overestimate me good sir.
    ..or just maybe I know what a drug it is when you hear that first gong go 'tang!' in the distance... In all honestly, make sure you're confident up to 300m, maybe not needed for the bushes around Alldays, but anywhere else, Freestate, Kalahari, EC, you might just need it

User

This should be close if MV is correct

100m zero

200m zero

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Honestly don't see myself being confident to shoot much past 200 at this stage
    Exactly the reason I zero at 200m and then easy to adjust/correct at 100m

User

Honestly don't see myself being confident to shoot much past 200 at this stage
    I have shot enough animals during hunting and culling to feel certain to say that at 200m zero if you have it centre of pump room, it will go down.

This is the same as a 2moa and 8moa dot on a Production Optic pistol. Go and do the measurements and see if 3.25cm will make the difference or not on decent placed shot.

User

Or try the zero at maximum point blank range
    https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...t-blank-range/

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    This should be close if MV is correct

100m zero

200m zero

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that, thats very interesting.

User

You are debating whether to zero at 100 or 200, I can tell you now for your shooting distances zero at 150m.

After that put up an animal target at 100m and 200m and shoot at the vitals, don't hold over or under just put the bullet in the ring, get a feel for it. Zeroing at 100m will take away a few cm that people can rather use for margin of error.

Let me put it this way, don't debate ballistics in your head, check it on paper with real world results, it will show you what you need to see and ease your mind at the same time.

Banned

T, the 7x64 is a flat shooting calibre. Practically spoken, it means that you do not to hold over for any regular target out to 200m.

Furthermore, you stated that you do not have much experience so I would avoid head and neck shots at this stage. That leaves you with a good sized target area for hunting purposes.

The answer lies in the MPBR - it is the max range at which your particular combination of bullet and calibre will neither rise nor fall more than a total of 10cm.

And then practice 100 shots on the range for every single shot in the hunting field.

User

If they shot straight its going to be the 140gr Barnes VORTX at a nominal 2980fps
    I would zero at 200m, it will work for heart/lung shots from powder burn range to close to 250m at the velocity you mentioned . And, as Messor said, confirm with an empirical test.

User

Blank your mind off. Forget about ballistic charts,drop sheets,bullet BC's,nodes and all that other clap trap.

Just sight your rifle in so that the bullets impact 2 inches high at 100m...finish and klaar.
    Then shoot a couple of shots at 200 and a couple of shots at 300m and note where the bullets impact.

Now you will find that at 25m you will maybe be an inch low,at 100m 2 inches high,at 200m an inch or so low again and about 10 inches low at 300m.[just an arbitary eg]

There is nothing else to do...that is it.....no dialing in,mill rad hold overs and all that rubbish.Keep it simple and enjoy.

If you decide that you want to shoot gongs at 400-500m plus and up,then other factors come into play.Untill then.ignore all this ballistic info and just enjoy.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast