Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: MOVIE: MOFFIE

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default MOVIE: MOFFIE

1981, South Africa. Nicholas (Kai Luke Brummer) has long known he is different, that there is something shameful and unacceptable in him that must stay hidden, denied even. But South Africa’s minority government are embroiled in conflict at the Angolian border and all white young men over 16 must serve two years of compulsory military service to defend the Apartheid regime and its culture of toxic racist machismo. The ‘black danger’ is the real and present threat; what is wrong with Nicholas and others like him can be rooted out, treated and cured like a cancer. But just when fear pushes Nicholas to accept unspeakable horrors in the hopes of staying invisible, a tender relationship with another recruit becomes as dangerous for them both as any enemy fire. With his fourth feature, Hermanus (Beauty, Shirley Adams) continues to delve into the casualties of his country’s dark past and he delivers a film of great poise and complexity – one that gets deep inside Nicholas’ head. Brummer gives an extraordinarily nuanced physical performance, emphasised by Braam du Toit’s aching and tense score, which underpins his constant anxiety – the threat of discovery. (Tricia Tuttle)

OLIVER HERMANUS’ NEW FILM “MOFFIE” INVITED TO PREMIERE AT VENICE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL

Oliver Hermanus and Portobello Productions are delighted to confirm that their new film, MOFFIE, will have its World Premiere in the official selection of the 76th Venice Film Festival which starts on August 28, 2019. MOFFIE was made in association with Hermanus’ Cape Town-based Penzance Films with the support of the Department of Trade and Industry South Africa.

This is the second film by Hermanus and only the fourth South African film to receive an official invitation to Venice in the 76 years of the festival. Hermanus’ previous film The Endless River (2015) was the first South African film to compete for the Golden Lion. MOFFIE will premiere in the Orizzonti (Horizons) Competition. Hermanus’ film SKOONHEID (BEAUTY) won the Queer Palm at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival and his first film SHIRLEY ADAMS was nominated for the Golden Leopard at the Locarno International Film Festival in 2009.

MOFFIE is produced by Fugard Theatre founder South African born Eric Abraham who produced the Academy award-winning films - Pawel Pawlikowski’s IDA (2014) and Jan Sverak’s KOLYA (1996) and Jack Sidey of Portobello Productions. It is based on the memoir, Moffie, by André-Carl van der Merwe and tells the story of a conscript who embarks on his military service in 1981 South Africa.

The film stars Kai Luke Brummer in his first film lead performance as well as a cast of sixteen young actors, many of whom make their feature film debut.

In 2018 the producers of the film along with casting director Jaci Cheiman hosted a nationwide casting call for the film’s lead and for the other conscripts. Kai Luke Brummer attended no less than eight individual castings before bagging the leading role of Nicholas. Two of the near thousand hopefuls who responded to a Facebook and press campaign and consequently attended the casting sessions in Johannesburg, Matthew Vey and Rikus Terblanche, landed other principal parts in the film. They are both still in high school.

The creative team behind MOFFIE are Hermanus regulars, working on what is their third collaboration with the director and they include SAFTA award winning production designer, Franz Lewis, renowned costumer Reza Levy and director of photography, Jamie D Ramsay. The original score is composed by Braam du Toit and the film is co-produced by another Hermanus collaborator, Thérèsa Ryan - van Graan. The film was shot last summer in various Western Cape locations.

Hermanus had this to say: ’I am so honoured to return to Venice. The head of the festival, Alberto Barbera, has been such a wonderful champion of my work and I in turn am extremely proud of the cast and crew that have been a part of this return to Venice. We really became one big family making this film and it will be a crowning moment to present the film to them in the context of such prestigious occasion like Venice, not to mention the audience of over a thousand people. What a trip!’

Every year The Venice Film Festival is a highlight of the international film calendar, welcoming only the best in the cinematic arts and plays host to celebrity-filled premieres and film events. It takes place from 28 August to 7 September on the Lido in Venice, forms part of the Venice Biennale and is the oldest film festival in the world.

MOFFIE will be released in South Africa later this year.
    http://nfvf.co.za/home/index.php?ipk...kArticleID=659
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Default Re: MOVIE: MOFFIE

South Africa's - BFI 2019 - Official Competition

Directed by the acclaimed filmmaker Oliver Hermanus, the film "Moffie", an Afrikaans pejorative for homosexual, tells the story of a young South African man who is struggling to hide his homosexuality in 1980s military service.
    The movie is yet to be released on the circuit, but it is already creating some buzz and has been picked for screenings at prestigious movie events such as the Venice Film Festival as well as the London Film Festival.
    To tell us more about this film, we are joined by its co-producer Theresa Ryan van Graan and actor Ryan De Villiers who are in our Sea Point studio...

And no , I am not out the closest .. I like Rodriguez and his classic song Sugar Man brought me to it ))

and here one of my fav

The trauma inflicted on apartheid army soldiers lives on, says 'Moffie' director
    Oliver Hermanus's film about the toxic hyper-masculinity of the Afrikaans regime is wowing global audiences, most recently at the Venice Film Festival
    https://www.timeslive.co.za/sunday-t...ffie-director/

Even if you weren't gay, that word (moffie) was used as a way to indoctrinate young white teenagers with the hyper masculinity of that era

User

KK20, you back to Moderating?

User

Toxic masculinity again.

No country for men.

User

TOXIC masculinity
    EVIL guns
    ASSAULT rifle
    HIGH powered caliber
    The list actually goes on and on of all these socially unacceptable traits until there is nothing left but a washed out,fucked up society.

Things that are ascribed to Masculinity to make it toxic are not unique to masculinity. Ergo it’s not masculinity that is toxic just people who do bad things.

User

Hey, according to media reports you get "high powered" bakkies as well these days.

Like Mr Glass said, it's a terrible thing not knowing your place in this world.

User

Let's not get tied up in semantics.

There was something fundamentally, and morally wrong with the entire Apartheid system. Up to, and including the indoctrination of the white youth.

I was born a tad too late to experience the "good old times" some of the older Afrikaans speaking people talk about.

All I remember was my dad being sent on endless camps to Soweto, and my mother making a game out of collecting glass bottles for money. I remember the 4 AWB idiots getting themselves killed, and a guy running through Jo'burg with a spear point sticking out from his chest. Whatever drove SA to that point, was toxic.

Not one post about how difficult it must have been to be gay in that time, or not being a perfect God fearing Afrikaner in general?

For a few people there seems to be only fond memories of that time, but for the majority of citizens it must have been hell on earth at one time or another during the Apartheid years.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast