Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: MOVIE: MOFFIE

User

Default Re: MOVIE: MOFFIE

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    M43 for a 47 year old your level of naivete and ignorance is astounding. I seriously do not mean to offend you and I apologise in advance, but surely at this age one would have accumulated at least some life experience.
    Dude stop watching Braveheart. Seriously.
    Actually I don't own a TV. I get to decide what I keep my mind busy with. Not some soapie director or news editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    Thank you Messor. They will always find someone or something to blame. Some are just constituitionally devoid of the honesty required to see things realistically.
    The path of truth and fact is indeed difficult, better to live in fantasy, lies and illusions.
    Someone to blame reminds me of this classic article by David Bullard.

https://bruinou.com/aweh/forum/3-ser...lonised-africa

User

So I grew up in a house critical of the National Party government. My dad was on a security police watch list and our phone was tapped. Other then some other I was alive long enough not to have worn a nappy for all of the 1980’s.
    The NP government did infringe on personal freedom- it spend a fortune on keeping some people from having sex with people of colour- lookup the Ontug Wet/Law. It used the Nederduits Reformed church as a propaganda instrument. It did enriched the politicians, look at how Robert Smit and his wife was murdered prior to exposing large scale corruption.
    But, the infant mortality rate was lower then now, Black and White had a functional but segretated health system. The list goes on.
    And no, I’m not an Apartheid Supporter. The White taxpayers paid for all and everyone back then so gratefully that came to an end. The ANC government passed more race based laws then the NP ever did- BBEE, Equal Employment Act etc.
    As a collective group South Africans is more doomed now then ever including 1948-1994.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post

Khris Khristofferson wrote and sang this song, and perhaps, its why I am like I am ? grew up with this as a household song

Excellent song; thanks Treeman. I've always enjoyed Kristofferson, to me this is one of his best (not that I'm much of a judge of good music ). Some lessons to learn from the song, apt for the current topic. The possibility (probability?) of the abuse of the law in very real now, with the SA government progressively losing control and increasingly acting with mindless "kragdadigheid" when under pressure.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...busing-patient

I thought I drop this here instead of a new thread .
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post

Very interesting, thanks.
    I'm guessing he's not going to get as much publicity as Mr Weinstein.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

So I got to watch it this evening.
    Intense!
    South African movies are really upping the game.
    The cover of the song, Sugar man is done beautifully.

It would be wise to read #125 before watching this movie or one would miss out subtleties in the end.

It will no doubt have people divided.
    I would love to hear the experiences from members who went through this ( the conscription, not the homosexuality) . Set in 1981 onwards and we have plenty 50 somethings active on GS.

Like it or not support RSA movies they are great.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

So I got to watch it this evening.
    Intense!
    South African movies are really upping the game.
    The cover of the song, Sugar man is done beautifully.

It would be wise to read #125 before watching this movie or one would miss out subtleties in the end.

It will no doubt have people divided.
    I would love to hear the experiences from members who went through this ( the conscription, not the homosexuality) . Set in 1981 onwards and we have plenty 50 somethings active on GS.

Like it or not support RSA movies they are great.
    Based on your feedback, and knowing your knowledge on our country's history, I am most definitely going to make this a priority on my list to watch, I was born in 82 , we were left with the aftermath of what our parents had to go through, my old man would've made the perfect tiffie, but it seems out of spite, they banged him in the military police, the strategic thinking that he already had got peaked and helped, but punishing guys that wanted to be there less than him for valid reasons made him very unhappy he will still proudly talk about the positive achievements he made today, but it's not quite like he ever had a choice in the matter, what my old man did bring back from his experience though was a sense of discipline and pride, I never realized until about a year ago,when I started teaching my own son to shine his shoes, where the lessons actually came from.

Six o'clock every morning my dad's shoes and my school shoes were at the back door, my dad would stand by me and explain in fine detail how you should shine your shoes and what they must look like when you are done, my dad would do his own as an example and guide me with my own,that was the beginning and I take my hat off to him for his efforts. Then later years I screwed up and he would just go " jy kan fokken bly wees julle bliksems hoef nie army toe te gaan nie want julle sal kak"
    My old man was trying to explain to me in the best way he knew possible to look after what you have and to show respect,I was a chop, did my trade and then wanted to go and join the Legionares or Royal Marines and the old man just said to me " wil my nou 'n ander man se oorlog gaan baklei wat fokol met jou te doen het nie vir niks"

I wanted to get involved for my own personal reasons, mainly
    that I got brought up knowing my dad was a military man and was proud of his achievements even though he had no choice in the matter, I wanted to make him proud without fully realizing that his stint in the army cost him valuable lost time and knowledge, and money in the end that he wanted to spend on my education, which I tossed away in my wildly miss spent youth, my old man had his step-outs some medals and all his gear put away on the right hand side of his cupboard for years, I always used to go and admire what he had, and his pictures,then one day it was all gone, recently he told me that he had literally tossed everything on a pile and burnt everything on that day years ago when I noticed it was all gone, he just reckoned that the false ideals that they were duped into fighting for and what they had lost in their time weren't worth keeping as memories and he hated it.

I would give my left nut to have my old man's regalia and to make him feel proud of what he had achieved under immense pressure, he is hard to explain, the hardest yet most gentlemanly and kind person I know.

This movie should give some light to the effects and years worth of unintended consequences of the times.

User

Many years ago I had read, not about this "doctor" but about the patient who suffered chemical castration. It was a somewhat detailed account.

I am 49. I matriculated in 89 near the end of conscription. By then the border was was already part of our history. I mention this as i am not old enough or had the experience to comment with such conviction on the movie. Some of our younger members would do well to hold back and let those who were there do the talking.

What i can say is that the makers of the film used second hand accounts of other guys experiences to make the movie. By so doing they opened a window into that world to give us some idea of what those guys went through.

Is it 100% accurate. No. But there are some truths and it does give a reasonable perspective on that period in time.

I wished they shaved their heads. No soldier went through basics with such a mop of hair.

We need to respect each other, more so to those who were there who hav first hand accounts of being there. The few sacrificed much to protect the many. Some of those who came back were broken and never the same. We should respect their sacrifice.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13