Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Mozambique Terrorists

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...sight-20191219

Interested to see if anyone thinks SADC or SANDF will get involved here

I know we stayed out of Somalia (as did most "AU" nations) for fear of local reprisals

However, this is closer to home, albeit still far enough away

User

Default Re: Mozambique Terrorists

Knocking on the door it seems.

Media article, yes, but the mumblings must have originated somewhere.
    After all, where there is smoke there is usually fire.

'ISIS' warns SA: Steer clear of Mozambique conflict https://www.news24.com/news24/SouthA...707?isapp=true

User

Didn't know this thread was still open!

Government will be between a rock and a hard place, one would think we would be requested to help, however we are financially strapped at the moment as well
    I don't think Zimbabwe has the capacity to intervene like it has done in the past

Maybe a Botswana, Namibia, RSA coalition?

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

The problem with the ideologies that ISIS subscribe to is that if they start to take root the become harder and harder to eradicate. There is a moral obligation to fight them, they are terrorists and ignoring them is appeasing the crocodile so to say. The SA government though doesn't have the best track record when it comes to opposing extremism of this nature. For some reason ideologies that chop off heads, rape and exterminate cultures not aligned with theirs seem not to faze them at all. I mean we had AQ training camps in SA for years.

There is a big concern about the capability of the SANDF, look the average troop is good at jackbooting around townships and shooting civvies in the back or beating them to death, they have a great rape track record in the DRC, but fighting a committed foe? The Parabats did well in Bangui but 44 and 1 Recce is not an army. Then again perhaps they wont do anything as ISIS also wants to destroy Israel, and we all know the ANC Government hates Israel, the enemy of my enemy and all...
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

This is typical of the hypocrisy of saying "African solution for Africa" - they'll look the other way while ISIS gains momentum and use that as a staging point to expand into Tanzania, Malawi, Zim & Zambia, they could fight a guerilla war for a hundred years... Which means more people flocking to SA for "safe harbour", which then leads to increased xenophobia...

Let's hope somewhere there is a drone that's batteries are getting charged for a quick Africa fly-over.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Oddthomas10 View Post
    Let's hope somewhere there is a drone that's batteries are getting charged for a quick Africa fly-over.
    If not that, then at least an oil change for 2 or 3 of the Rooivalk attack helicopters....

Quote Originally Posted by Oddthomas10 View Post
    This is typical of the hypocrisy of saying "African solution for Africa" - they'll look the other way while ISIS gains momentum and use that as a staging point to expand into Tanzania, Malawi, Zim & Zambia, they could fight a guerilla war for a hundred years... Which means more people flocking to SA for "safe harbour", which then leads to increased xenophobia...

Maybe they can open the hunting permits for ISIS fighters and we can do a driven hunt?

Stimulate the economy and eradicate the pests?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Lets try keep this factual and serious if we can, it's a big problem. How RSA responds to this is going to have consequences either way.

LOTS of RSA tourists go to Moz, is government equipped and willing to get citizens back safely?
    Lots of potential targets domestically due to the drain of national intelligence and open borders.

Rooivalk etc are not cheap to run when the UN isn't paying for the deployment

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    Lets try keep this factual and serious if we can, it's a big problem. How RSA responds to this is going to have consequences either way.

LOTS of RSA tourists go to Moz, is government equipped and willing to get citizens back safely?
    Lots of potential targets domestically due to the drain of national intelligence and open borders.

Apologies for sounding flippant about the matter.

The fact of the matter is that the presence of ISIS has an economic effect on the gas production capacity of the investment.

They (owners) will protect their investment through PMC's. Which are already present for a while now in the area. I read sometime ago about Russian guys being targeted by ISIS.

SA would not do anything either too expensive or unfortunately too effective because the problem area is geographically distant. The effect of the problems as you stated are closer to home but that would unfortunately not be recognized early enough.

I believe that the issue will be dealt with by the private sector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post

Of course, I did not even think about that...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast