Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Hunting big game rifle question

A ph backing clients on big game will have different requirements.[/QUOTE]
    How would you describe those requirements, I have tried to picture these requirements and it would be interesting to get the full picture.
    The only one I can come up with is that the client takes relaxed shots with time to acquire a good sight picture and that the PH may have to do things in a rush?, but I still do not really see how a low power scope can be beaten by open sights.
    I know that history has proven me to be wrong, but why?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    A ph backing clients on big game will have different requirements.
    How would you describe those requirements, I have tried to picture these requirements and it would be interesting to get the full picture.
    The only one I can come up with is that the client takes relaxed shots with time to acquire a good sight picture and that the PH may have to do things in a rush?, but I still do not really see how a low power scope can be beaten by open sights.
    I know that history has proven me to be wrong, but why?
    Express sights on a rifle allows one to "point and shoot" whereas one has to acquire a sight picture with a scope. Open sights are said to be faster.

Secondly, open sights allow for a broader range of view.

Banned

This makes sense, a scope does tend to focus ones attention in one place direction and on subject.

User

I have taken close shots with a scoped rifle, the closest being a warthog running straight at me at 14 paces, if you shoot with both eyes open this is not difficult. However, at very close range, say less than 10 paces, open sights (if your eyes are young enough to focus that close) or a rmr mounted where your front scope mount would normally be, is quicker to acquire than a scope for snapshots. This is the kind of shots that a ph might need to make and the kind of shot that he can't afford to screw up. Also, reloading is quicker when there is no scope (or rail) above the rifles magazine. I often top up the magazine and occasionally shoot the rifle dry, even when following up non dangerous wounded game.

Your average hunter rarely, or never, use open sights and for such a person a scope is more familiar and quicker to use in a stressful situation provided that the magnification is not too high.

MyLani is probably the person to speak to about this.

User

Treeman, we must meet up soon and I will let you try my Lott with the RMR.
    As you pick the rifle up to your shoulder, you have a very clear red dot that lets you see exactly where you are sending the bullet.
    It is crisp and precise.
    A PH is going to be shooting at very close range, and a Buffalo's head doesn't stay still while it is running.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

rarely, or never, use open sights and for such a person a scope is more familiar and quicker to use in a stressful situation
    Makes sense now, you can with practice be a better quicker shot with open sights than you could achieve with same practice using a scope. The achievable result with a scope is less than that achievable with the unencumbered open sights.
    Hope this side track is not too far of OP intention.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Treeman, we must meet up soon and I will let you try my Lott with the RMR.
    As you pick the rifle up to your shoulder, you have a very clear red dot that lets you see exactly where you are sending the bullet.
    It is crisp and precise.
    A PH is going to be shooting at very close range, and a Buffalo's head doesn't stay still while it is running.
    Have used it before, just a few shots at random things lying nearby and I do agree it is rather incredible.
    Some questions though.
    What kind of grouping is achievable with a RMR scope?
    What distance is it usable to?
    Does this RMR scope not place you at the fickle whims of the electronic world?

User

I only use mine close distance, and at 15m can put all shots in a 5 Rand coin size group, which is good enough for me.
    I have also shot a gong at 100m,so if I need a running away shot, it will do.
    The Kahles RMR can have its battery changed without removing from the rifle, and it's protective cover has a spare battery holder.

I use a QD mount for mine so can remove if it breaks

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Bushboy, who used to frequent the forum, spoke of a Trijicon RMR on their lodges 375’s for their guides and rangers, I have handled a similar one and it points well and you can pick up your target easily and deliver accurate shots close up and out to 100m without a problem.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post

Express sights on a rifle allows one to "point and shoot" whereas one has to acquire a sight picture with a scope. Open sights are said to be faster.

That would be what I thought but we have experienced hunters here saying differently.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast