Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Hunting big game rifle question

After the few DG hunts I’ve been on (only buffalo) my new .404 is going to have a 1-6x scope with quick detach mounts and express sights for follow ups in thick bush. That’s a very common setup. 1-6x offers some legs if you intend to hunt in open areas where shots can get to 150m + Also if the rifle you choose is a .375 you will probably use it for the larger plains game and then a 1-6x is handy. Question now is which 1-6x scope, but that’s a topic for another thread... I’ve hunted with many PH’s all over Africa and every one has used plain old express sights.

User

I used plain express sights, until I played with a friend's rifle with an RMR. It's just so much easier IMO.

Just as I used a rangefinder and binos all my life until I used a friend's rangefinding binoculars. Can't go back after that.

Equipment is evolving. Sure, old school still works perfectly fine, but moving with the times can make your life easier
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

Just as I used a rangefinder and binos all my life until I used a friend's rangefinding binoculars. Can't go back after that.
    talk about a weight around your neck - those things can make a good walk a long walk.

User

I have the Kahles Helia 10x42.
    They are no more bigger and marginally heavier than standard 10x42 binos.
    Plus I have a Sitka Gear Binocular pouch on my chest, that keeps my binos out the dust and exactly where I want them without moving

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    I used plain express sights, until I played with a friend's rifle with an RMR. It's just so much easier IMO.

Equipment is evolving. Sure, old school still works perfectly fine, but moving with the times can make your life easier
    I’ve just put an RMR on my handgun and am really enjoying it and have an aimpoint T2 on my AR so I am definitely a fan of the red dot! But I get a bit nostalgic with hunting rifles, esp big bore ones. I agree an RMR is practically a better option for a PH but for the hunter or ‘client’ I’d say the flexibility of 1-6x with the express sights are better than the slight speed advantage of a red dot. 100m shots are common and while I can also hit targets at that distance with a red dot I’d feel a hell of a lot more comfortable using a bit of magnification for a first shot on a buff at that distance. I’m excited for the day I can remove the scope from my rifle and take a buff with open sights, unlikely in the Zambezi delta where Im planning a trip next year. 150m + shots are common in that open flat terrain.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I’ve just put an RMR on my handgun and am really enjoying it and have an aimpoint T2 on my AR so I am definitely a fan of the red dot! But I get a bit nostalgic with hunting rifles, esp big bore ones. I agree an RMR is practically a better option for a PH but for the hunter or ‘client’ I’d say the flexibility of 1-6x with the express sights are better than the slight speed advantage of a red dot. 100m shots are common and while I can also hit targets at that distance with a red dot I’d feel a hell of a lot more comfortable using a bit of magnification for a first shot on a buff at that distance. I’m excited for the day I can remove the scope from my rifle and take a buff with open sights, unlikely in the Zambezi delta where Im planning a trip next year. 150m + shots are common in that open flat terrain.
    100%
    I prefer the clients to have a scoped 375

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post

This is where hunting starts to be fun, sometime you want to hunt with all the bells and whistles and sometime you want to “old school” it. Each has its place and each provides a pleasant, unique, experience.

User

While I understand the advantages of relatively low-power scopes, especially when hunting in the palmetto scrub of Florida, I like peep (aperture) sights for their quick-acquisition characteristics. Does no one hunt with XS, Lyman, Williams or Skinner type aperture sights in SA? Would they even be permitted by the PH?

R/Griff

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    Does no one hunt with XS, Lyman, Williams or Skinner type aperture sights in SA? Would they even be permitted by the PH?
    The average hunter in SA goes after smaller, affordable (antelope) species because most hunters do it for the pleasure, and to provide meat for the family.

This means that on average, one does not need snap shots as folks prefer to use a telescope t make a clean kill.

Therefore, aperture sights and similar gadgets are not very well known.

Some folks use ghost rings for specific purposes.

Red dot sights etc are becoming increasingly popular.

From reading, most PH's are only worried that the client should be able to hit what he is aiming at.

User

Most of hunters I know use Red dot/RMR sights instead of low magnification scope and rarely shoot further that 80 meters. A Red dot/RMR sights is faster than Open sights. ( for novice and average shooters)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3