Banned

Default Pitbull bird retriever?

Just read this in the Field&Stream mag.
    Do not know if its just me, but I found this mess my coffee funny.
    One crisp September afternoon in a north Florida peanut field, I hunted doves with a man who had trained his pit bull to retrieve. The dog sat patiently beside us, waiting to show off its skills, and sprang into action when I downed the first dove. At the owner's behest, the pit bull galloped to the dead bird, scooped it up in its maw, turned back toward us, made a couple of crunching sounds and swallowed the dove whole. Tongue lolling, it then bounded back to us, obviously pleased with the way things were progressing.

"He'll settle down after he eats one or two," said the proud owner. And, sure enough, he did

User

Default Re: Pitbull bird retriever?

Perhaps not a pitbull, but nothing runs faster and is more agile than a bulterriër with something in its mouth that you want to take away.

All dogs can be pretty easily trained to retrieve, so I am sure it's quite possible. However, quite why someone would want to use that particular breed, when there are far better options for that specific line of work, is crazy. Fun though, I'm sure, and it makes for a good laugh with the sundowners.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    All dogs can be pretty easily trained to retrieve, so I am sure it's quite possible. However, quite why someone would want to use that particular breed, when there are far better options for that specific line of work, is crazy. Fun though, I'm sure, and it makes for a good laugh with the sundowners.
    Guess some folk just use the dog they already have, reduces the need for a retrieve dog, point dog, blood dog and watch dog.
    My B/Collie retrieves birds and follows a blood spoor to a dead animal, but will not track a wounded animal, how she knows ????
    She has a way of pointing, but it applies to all creatures, she stops and stares intently ahead and then runs amok if you tell her to "soek soek".

All depends what you're into. I suppose. All dogs have a sense of smell and a desire to please - that's what makes them so special.

User

I like the way this guy thinks. First train the dog to retrieve doves, and once he gets the hang of it he can retrieve boar and bears, and other critters

User

My pitbull once suprised me by starting to point francolin in the brush. Age does not retrieve though just runs up to dead birds and licks them

Banned

My Border Collie loves to retrieve, especially on water.
    She was very good at it till a wounded goose on land decided not to run and grabbed her snout. She now grabs and figure of 8 shakes the goose till it comes apart - and then some, she is taking no more chances.