Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Guns Rusting in Safe

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Any comments on the these two dehumidifiers. Was using two disposable ones in my safe and they caught quite a bit of moisture so no point in getting the disposables again and rather invest in a reusable one. The Remington is about R200 more expensive.

https://www.loot.co.za/product/solenco-rechargeable-cupboard-dehumidifier/ggwh-4405-g620?referrer=googlemerchant&gclid=Cj0KCQiA48j9BRC-ARIsAMQu3WSGeScCPVpDEZF78B0lfVJVvBwk43OeR0c5nSReog 5seDu4TePhNBUaAiK6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Remington-Accessories-Model-Mini-Dehumidifier-19950/dp/B0028M3YU6

Currently have two of the Solenco dehumidifiers in my safes, both standing in a high moisture area and no complaints. One is about 3 years old and the other a couple of months.

Did see some complaints on Takealot that they did not work out the box, so just check that if you do buy one.

They do what they need to, so happy with them.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsieEC View Post

I buy these from Builders. They regularly on special and cost R20. I replace it every 3/4 months. It’s not 100% effective and I still get small amounts of mildew on my wooden stock. No rust issues though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Anti spill", I knocked one over inside my safe. I thought I cleaned up everything but didn't notice a tiny bit of splatter due to the lighting. A few weeks later I opened the particular safe and noticed that dreaded orange brown tinge on both my shotguns and my T56...

The contents is very corrosive.

The Solenco gadget is ok, just monitor it regularly so that it can be "recharged".

User

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    "Anti spill", I knocked one over inside my safe. I thought I cleaned up everything but didn't notice a tiny bit of splatter due to the lighting. A few weeks later I opened the particular safe and noticed that dreaded orange brown tinge on both my shotguns and my T56...

The contents is very corrosive.

The Solenco gadget is ok, just monitor it regularly so that it can be "recharged".
    Corrosive indeed!! Found out after inadvertently remodeling the grate on the exterior drain.

User

LOL Got the exact same thing also from Builders. Try using two if it is not working. I use two in my safe, one high and one low, and they both have quite a bit of water in them at the moment, hence I thought instead of using throwaways just get a permanent one.
    Just a heads up.

Rather position them outside the safe. I found that these things draw moisture into the safe.

Once I placed them just outside the safe they worked better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

What do you currently have in your safe as a moisture absorber? I was amazed at how much moisture it absorbed but then I do live 10km from the sea.
    Nothing - weapons are oiled and waxed properly, safe is opened regularly. I live on a point and have sea east, west and south of me closest coast about 11 km furthermost about 20 km.

I can occasionally get light powder mold on stocks and rust where metal was touched, but only if I do not oil and wax proper. No weapon gets looked at with out a oil wipe over.
    (TIP --- take 3 Marmite bottles and cut like four rags for in each bottle, mark them 1 -3. Take some thin penetrating type oil (I mix my own magic stuff) and put a few drops 10/20 in bottle 1, take your best gun oil for jar two (I mix my own) and lastly jar 3 a thick oil (I mix my own).
    When a rifle comes home it is wiped with a dry cloth, then cleaned with jar one oil cloth and then wiped with toilet paper. Cloth 1 is used till black and dirty.
    Then it is wiped with cloth 2 and put away.

Weapons that need long storage like when applying for licence, or once a year use guns get wiped with cloth 3 before storage.

This has served me well 18 years abouts.

I want a dehumidifier because its good insurance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    These work great. I don't have to replace mine very often but I'm always amazed to see how much water is captured in this thing every time I use the safe.They are cheap enough to buy one every month if you live in an area that is very humid.
    You will eventually see your arse with those containers, one day is one day they will bite you. ( This has been mentioned before in brother, sister threads.
    If it overflows, cracks or spills in will F***** you over properly, just believe me, you really must.
    If you forget one of those in a safe over xmas and come back to a month late exchange, that thing will show you how to destroy metal and wood.
    They sometimes crack and leak and sometimes spill, both will make you wish you could turn back time. Take your next full container and empty it over some metals and wood, take a nice piece of treated varnished good looking wood, empty container into a bucket and put wood in bucket with lid on. (hang on wire if you wish not to lay it in liquid)

Those little containers are like riding a bike without a helmet, "yutte boet but its lekker, never been hurt ..........yet"

Banned

I did not realize this was a old post,did not look at date (blush), but do go read my post # 26. Actually read this thread start to end.
    ( I was amazed at AR giving such "the same" advice as long ago - thats when I looked at dates "OOOOpps"

User

Any comments on the these two dehumidifiers. Was using two disposable ones in my safe and they caught quite a bit of moisture so no point in getting the disposables again and rather invest in a reusable one. The Remington is about R200 more expensive.

https://www.loot.co.za/product/solenco-rechargeable-cupboard-dehumidifier/ggwh-4405-g620?referrer=googlemerchant&gclid=Cj0KCQiA48j9BRC-ARIsAMQu3WSGeScCPVpDEZF78B0lfVJVvBwk43OeR0c5nSReog 5seDu4TePhNBUaAiK6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Remington-Accessories-Model-Mini-Dehumidifier-19950/dp/B0028M3YU6

I love my 2 Solenco's and 1 Remington (I think the are exactlythe same except for the elect cable connector), used to live 100m from te beach and they worked like a bomb. Had to recharge them every 2 to 3 weeks all depends how many times I opended the safe.

Nice, gonna get me a Solenco then and chuck out the accidents waiting to happen, and take treeman's advice and do proper maintenance.

User

After one of those moisture absorbers partly dissolved itself dumping its content onto my shotgun, rusting it badly. I decided to stop messing around with light bulbs, silica, wax etc. bit the bullet and bought a proper refrigerant dehumidifier. it has a continues drainage function, so I have it drain into a 25L drum

My first safe was under the stairs in a small enclosed aria and I am a stone throw from the ocean, its amazing, especially in summer how water that thing pulls out of the air. no silica based unit will ever come close

Got a second safe in a seperate room with a second dehumidifier. the whole room is kept between 40%/50% humidity, so everything in there is well taken care of. I also keep other tools etc in my "dry room"

Refrigerant units are not cheap to purchase and is very much a grudge purchase, but for how well they work, the large space they cover it is a no brainer in my book. (electricity consumption is not really noticeable on my two)

And well worth the price to avoid that feeling I got when I saw the "carnage" caused by the spillage. and what is cost to repair and replace firearms makes and even stronger case to pull the trigger on a dehumidifier

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast