Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Guns Rusting in Safe

@Maroelas: I have 2 of the bigger bags and everytime I buy new shoes or electronic devices or what not I will throw those dessicant sachets inside my safe somewhere. It was always fine until now, do they need to be dried out in the oven from time to time?

@flyinggun: I typically spray my guns with silicone spray instead and then wipe them down before storage. I use this instead of my eezox because its easier to apply and I haven't really seen a difference between the two. Also the guns all started at once on guns I haven't handled and on weird places like the entire trigger guard for instance.

I have looked at those moisture absorbers but have read that if left unchecked and they become saturated they can ruin everything inside the safe as if releasing corrosive agents back into the air.

@ady: I am currently looking at those solenco ones, my thinking is buy 2 and then rotate them or use together with those bags and then use the solenco models as an indicator as well on when to dry out the tacqm bags.

I also did install a eurolux 11w cfl globe dangling in the top in the middle but am hesitant to leave it on inside on account of the powder, eventhough they are not in close proximity or can come in contact. I am currently looking at better powder storage and other alternatives in the mean time.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Aidanz View Post
    I use one of these in each safe. Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    These work great. I don't have to replace mine very often but I'm always amazed to see how much water is captured in this thing every time I use the safe.They are cheap enough to buy one every month if you live in an area that is very humid.

User

Another vote for the Air Scents Moisture Absorber.

If you buy the refills it's even cheaper... Like R15 at Dischem.

This product works well and is easily obtainable.
    I get mine from my local Pick and Pay....just don't get the lavender 'flavoured' one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aidanz View Post
    I use one of these in each safe.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I would like to stress that the fluid formed in those containers is worse than any moisture in the air. The next time you have a used container, take an old tool - piece of metal and lay it across open container, put another piece with one side in fluid, you will quickly note that whatever fluid it is that forms is very corrosive. I do not know if all brands that are so bad, but try the experiment some time. If it gets on wood it also marks it in a way that is not removable.
    If you have an unused safe or box, put an absorbent container that’s full, has liquid in it in container with some untreated metal in same sealed box (I usually use old spanners for all my testing of anything). The liquid formed in those moisture absorbents contaminates the air more than moisture does.

Banned

I will post twice, be careful if those container type moisture catchers get bumped over or are allowed to over saturate you will regret it.
    Oil your weapons well, it will take care of 99 % of your problems.
    Use a thick oil and coat metal, you can always clean it off.

User

@Wolf: silicone spray (as we as many oils) can let water in between the metal and the "protective" layer trapping it and causing corrosion exactlh where you thought you were protected. An oil that emulsifies with water (like Ballistol) remains in contact with the metal, keeping it protected. As Skaaphaas mentioned, Eezox also gives very good anti corrosion protection. Oils and coatings are not created equal, I'd never use silicone on my firearms if I had any other option.

Also, those dehumidifier packets work really well, whilst there remain some of the white pellets left. The remaining pellets also form a barrier against the trapped water. Consider as well that only the upper surface of that trapped water can act as an evaporating area, that area is WAY smaller than the exposed surface area on the inside of you safe, that's why you'll always have a nett movement of moisture from the "outside" of the packet to the "inside"...

Coat all metal surfaces with red ATF, including in the bore. Dont wipe dry. Only overhead is that you need to wipe clean before use.

I use kitty litter from PnP and stuff it into a old pantyhose and put that at the bottom of the safe. Works great.

User

Good to know. Thank you for the heads up. I will discard them as soon as im home.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast