Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Guns Rusting in Safe

Quote Originally Posted by Krokodil View Post
    I use kitty litter from PnP and stuff it into a old pantyhose and put that at the bottom of the safe. Works great.
    I also do this. Just check that the litter you buy contains silicates.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

Also from Limpopo and yes, 42 deg C is not too uncommon here.

The reason for the rust is most likely due to the safe temperature being somehwat cooler than the air around it. (We tend to hide it in the darkest and coolest hole in the house.) This causes moisture to condensate in there. It's not just the hottest time of day that is the issue, because then the humidity is usually well below 40%, but at night and in the early morning, when everyting cools down and air gets sucked into the safe, the humidity can easily exceed 80%. And that will cause issues.

My solution is to place about 2 kg of silica gel in a fabric bag inside each safe. I remove this bag once a year during the dry time and bake it in the oven to remove any accumulated moisture. This has worked for me so far.

When handling your guns in summer, your fingers will be sweaty, so be sure to wipe down all metal parts with an oily rag. Yes, thick oil is better, as it sits there longer.

I would not use Silicone spray, as I don't think it was formulated for metal corrosion protection. It may help, but there surely are better option.

Disposable nappies are also a good source of silica gel and available everywhere.

User

I will get a proper oil then instead of silicon spray as a start. Thanks for that insight. Will sealing the doors with some rubber seals or similar minimise airflow from outside and improve humidity inside, I am thinking silica gel should last longer then as well.

Banned

AR - you are a genius, money saver tip of 2019 goes to you. Disposable nappies.
    When I read this I was like, "awww geee! Why did I not realize this one"? Brilliant obvious and adaptable, even makes a cushion bottom of safe.

User

The air scent absorbers work well. The chemicals inside are chlorides, chlorides are salts. So they do an excellent job.

Just don't spill the liquid once they are full, not on any metal you care about anyway. They are easy to handle even when full.

If you want to use electricity, a 15 watt infrared light bulb works well, I've never bothered with it myself though.

Interesting, I thought it was just us coastal people who had this problem.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    The air scent absorbers work well. The chemicals inside are chlorides, chlorides are salts. So they do an excellent job.
    Just don't spill the liquid once they are full, not on any metal you care about anyway. They are easy to handle even when full.
    Interesting, I thought it was just us coastal people who had this problem.
    Sean, test what I tell you, under certain conditions you will surely regret ever meeting those *&^^&%&^% fkn plastic containers.
    I have not tried to replicate again, but when they are full and the temperature, air pressure, stars align you will open safe and see beautiful little shiny crystals (like sea salt on a windscreen) all along barrel at a certain height stopping almost as if a line was drawn. Being of no education I cannot give reasons, but can propose that some kind of electrolysis takes place at some point of saturation in air or in container. I would hazard a guess that the chlorides etc. attract moisture and continue to do so till they become super source of moisture which is then trapped in safe and that moisture (presumably chemically laden) has time to really do you over proper.
    Take an old cheap stock, like a pellet gun light wood stock and store it with one of those containers that’s filling up, you will after a week or few feel the stock is damp soggy.
    I like playing around and follow these little "interesting's" keenly.
    Just for interest sake - take a hand full of old brass cases and put them on same shelf as washing detergents in laundry room. Give it a few months.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I will post twice, be careful if those container type moisture catchers get bumped over or are allowed to over saturate you will regret it.
    Oil your weapons well, it will take care of 99 % of your problems.
    Use a thick oil and coat metal, you can always clean it off.
    Thanks for the warning on this product!

I use some desiccant silicone sachets thrown into my handgun safe. I live in PTA so humidity isnt too bad and I keep my two handguns well oiled so no issues over the past few years.

For the OP, when you recommend something you tried successfully, state your location.

On the highveld, we don't have humidity problems, so what works in JHB and PTA is completely useless in the face of real humidity.

User

Some kind of electrolysis???

Just.... no....

If you complain that the product stops working after the active ingredient (calcium carbonate) has been depleted and the container just left there, then the consequences are due to your own ignorance, not the product's fault.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Some kind of electrolysis???

Just.... no....

If you complain that the product stops working after the active ingredient (calcium carbonate) has been depleted and the container just left there, then the consequences are due to your own ignorance, not the product's fault.
    Really now?
    Can not find where anyone blames a product, do see a warning about what can happen, if!
    But then I am also not trying to make a fool of someone else.
    The product is used for storage, storage implies possible long term absence of maintenance. In a country where drought and rain happen same month, a little gel container may last 5/6 months in June to December on the coast and be useless in 40 days during May rainfall so unless you at home checking it everyday, you may get caught out. That was sole reason for bringing up possible problem.I will let my mates who do overseas trips for a month or two know that they ignorant not to have changed container while away.sent from phone, not spell Grammer checked.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast