Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: .308 kill an eland?

Hope this help I always check out this type of photos before I hunt a new species.

On most animals the Heart sits in the middle of the bottom half of chest when looking from the side. However most hunters without knowledge will aim dead center instinctively on the chest. And just miss the heart taking a lung shot or just above. Which causes animal to take off. And then the tracking begins.

User

Default Re: .308 kill an eland???

Luke, if you have posted in one section of the forum there is no need to post the same question in other sections.

Members frequent all the sub forums and will answer you in due course.

So I tracked a Eland Cow for 5 hours after being shot with a 168gr Barnes chambered in .308. The blood spoor got weaker until no spoor and no Eland.

My mate shot the Eland, shot was good but further back to the rear than it should have been. Range about 260m.

I offered my .375 but the shooter was worried about a flinch.

So yes, in my opinion the round is OK for a well placed shot from a confident shot, but if you are off you may be in for a long day .......... and lots of money. So no clever shots, broadside at a decent range and study your shot placement.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

We shot an eland with a .270 so no reason why a .308 can't do it. It is all about the shooter and shot placement.

User

You can shoot a big eland bull with a .22LR.
    The real question is not weither you can, but weither you should.
    And no, you definitely should not, even if you think you can.

So yes, you can shoot it with a 308. Should you? Only you can answer the question.

I am fairly confident with my 308. It shoots where I point it. Whould I choose it for an eland hunt over my 375? Not likely. But I have a 375. If you don't, you don't really have that option.

So the real answer is: Buy another rifle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    On most animals the Heart sits in the middle of the bottom half of chest when looking from the side. However most hunters without knowledge will aim dead center instinctively on the chest. And just miss the heart taking a lung shot or just above. Which causes animal to take off. And then the tracking begins.
    Heart shot animals does not necessarily drop in their tracks either. The heart in in the photo below belonged to a blue wildebeest bull which still ran more than a 100 meters after being shot. The majority of heart/lung shot animals, especially the larger antelope will take off after being shot. I have found a shot in the lungs just above the heart, on a broadside animal, to be very effective as it takes out both the lungs and the big arteries above the heart.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Carefully study all the posted shot placements and make a mental note that the saying of "skiet hom agter die blad" (shooting behind the shoulder) will probably miss the heart and just nick the lungs and if shot is a bit high the liver. That gives an Eland a lot of speed for a long time. That is why I would recommend that you use good premium bullets from your .308 for Eland. A .308 is powerful enough for Eland if shot placement is good, and with good shot placement on Eland to hit the heart you are shooting really close to huge bones, so you need a strong bullet. The energy (grains X velocity) of a .308 is fine, just use a good construction of projectile.

Same goes for Blue Wildebeest and shot placement. The whole "myth" of tough blue wildebeest is because a lot of hunters place the shot too far back (agter die blad...) No heart shot animal can survive for too long. The death dash resulting from a heart shot is perfectly normal and no indication of "toughness" of an animal. It is when they trot off nonchalantly, stand, and then run further on the follow up that your day are spoiled.

User

Luke...You wanna shoot an Eland...cow or bull?
    2 different scenarios....big bull may dress out at 400+kg while a cow will be less than half that size. As such,recommendations [or levels of caution] will differ between the two for obvious reasons.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Carefully study all the posted shot placements and make a mental note that the saying of "skiet hom agter die blad" (shooting behind the shoulder) will probably miss the heart and just nick the lungs and if shot is a bit high the liver. That gives an Eland a lot of speed for a long time. That is why I would recommend that you use good premium bullets from your .308 for Eland. A .308 is powerful enough for Eland if shot placement is good, and with good shot placement on Eland to hit the heart you are shooting really close to huge bones, so you need a strong bullet. The energy (grains X velocity) of a .308 is fine, just use a good construction of projectile.

Same goes for Blue Wildebeest and shot placement. The whole "myth" of tough blue wildebeest is because a lot of hunters place the shot too far back (agter die blad...) No heart shot animal can survive for too long. The death dash resulting from a heart shot is perfectly normal and no indication of "toughness" of an animal. It is when they trot off nonchalantly, stand, and then run further on the follow up that your day are spoiled.
    Check out this app for R160
    http://www.africahunters.co.za

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast