Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    User

Default Re: .308 kill an eland?

If it has already been said too many times on this thread, I'm going to say it one more time... SHOT PLACEMENT!

As another member said previously, no point in having enough gun but your shot is bad. If you hit an Eland in the stomach with a 700 Nitro does not mean it will drop in it's tracks.

Use the rifle you are most comfortable and familiar with. If you're not 100% confident in the shot don't take it. There's always next season.

I shot my first and only Eland so far with a .300 WSM. So slightly superior ballistics than the .308 but then again not as good as the full on .300 WM. Straight through the heart with a 168gr Berger. He trotted in a small circle, (I use a suppressor so he had no idea where the shot came from) stood still for 2 or 3 seconds and collapsed.

So after all that, to answer the OP. Yes, in my personal opinion a .308 WIN is just fine to hunt an Eland with.

Quote Originally Posted by SFSniper View Post
    If it has already been said too many times on this thread, I'm going to say it one more time... SHOT PLACEMENT!

As another member said previously, no point in having enough gun but your shot is bad. If you hit an Eland in the stomach with a 700 Nitro does not mean it will drop in it's tracks.

Use the rifle you are most comfortable and familiar with. If you're not 100% confident in the shot don't take it. There's always next season.

I shot my first and only Eland so far with a .300 WSM. So slightly superior ballistics than the .308 but then again not as good as the full on .300 WM. Straight through the heart with a 168gr Berger. He trotted in a small circle, (I use a suppressor so he had no idea where the shot came from) stood still for 2 or 3 seconds and collapsed.

So after all that, to answer the OP. Yes, in my personal opinion a .308 WIN is just fine to hunt an Eland with.
    Impressive, your nick is well earned :)

User

I have shot a 400 kg slaughtered weight eland with my 308 150 grain Nosler AB.
    It can work, but if you have a bigger calibre it is better.

User

So to summarize?

1. Shot placement.
    2. Bullet choice.
    3. Shooters level of comfort of experience with the rifle platform/cartridge.
    4. Cartridge.

The 1st two points may be interchangeable depending on how you look at it.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7