Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Ruger 10/22 thoughts?

So I got to feel a Ruger 10/22 Tactical and a Ruger 10/22 Takedown today in a gun shop, both look pretty awesome, the takedown looks a lot “cooler” at a price though...

So im wondering if anyone feels like sharing their thoughts on them?

How available are parts in SA?

Is the takedown worth the price difference?

I might need to have one for, some plinking, bird hunting, just general fun....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 thoughts?

I have a 10/22 Target with the bull barrel... one of my favorite guns to shoot! Extremely accurate even out to 100m, no issues! I would like to own a take down model as well.

Well Guns n Bows are and have been the Ruger Importer for years. So parts should not be an issue.

User

Not sure about parts, as I've never needed any. YET!
    I just love my little 10/22. It sees alot more use than my AR.
    And don't give it to the laaitie, as he will go on for as long as there is ammo.
    PS. Don't take a brick of 22 ammo to the range

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I have a tactical. Really awesome little rifle. Very reliable up to now, even if dirty. The 10 round mags have never given any feeding problems. The BX 25 Ruger mags are giving feeding problems. I only load them to 20 rounds otherwise the first 5-8 shots are just a mess. Accuracy is very good. As I have it the Tacticals chamber is cut tighter than the others for accuracy improvement. Because of this, also note that longer cased .22 like CCI Stinger will not chamber. It cycle reliably with Sub-Sonic as well. I use a lot of Sub-sonic ammo with a silencer.

It is the rifle (excluding my Air Arms 200 PCC) that gets used the most in my house. It also serves a lot as my bakkie rifle on the farm. It is way lighter and smaller than the AR and just fits nice and snug between the seats. It can handle the odd shooting job needed on a farm and as a backup rifle for SD should my primary sidearm have a problem or run out of ammo I will not have any problems to use it. If a AK 47 gun wielding gang should arrive on the farm from a distance of more than 30 m I think it would become the primary in that scenario if the choice is between only the 10/22 and Glock 19.

The only real concern I have is the safety of use for the kids. They only and always shoot under close scrutiny, but if comparing the use of the 10/22 with the Brno .22 bolt action, the Brno is a lot more relaxing towards the father. With a bolt action safety is just a matter of "If your shot is finished, just don't reload. Leave the bolt closed and it will be safe for the time being." With a semi-auto it is always a huge concern to be sure it is empty and safe. Its just a more complicated procedure and there are no way to see from the outside what the condition of the gun is and I don't trust cross bolt (trigger) safeties at all. With the Brno the safety engages the firing pin.

A take down is "cool", but the, "cool" for what? Why would you want to split such a small light rifle in two? (That was my thoughts on the subject when I compared the two.)

Get one, you will enjoy it.

Banned

Two dedicated shooters in our area sold theirs because they were finicky with ammunition. Once sorted, they were a pleasure to shoot but they were sold nonetheless, simply because obtaining ammo was troublesome.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

I am lucky then
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

I have the Take Down.When "taken down" the two halves fit neatly in the supplied Ruger bag and is easily transported and stored. I have no problems with the 25 round mags. It does not like American Eagle ammo. The new Ruger 9mm carbine is also a Take Down and should make a nice companion.

User

Thinks for the input guys, I can Get the Tactical locally fpr R8500 and the takedown for just under 15 K so its a no brainer which one to go for...

User

I have a "normal" 10/22. I like it a lot. Bought it used before the takedown and other exotic versions were available. My kids use it more than me, but that is mostly because the LOP adjustable ATI stock that I fitted can be adjusted to their liking. So it fits all kinds of statures well. It has a Lynx 1,5-5x20 scope fitted, and this suits the rifle very well.

The 10/22 is ammo sensitive, but I suspect all semi-outo 22's are. They don't like wax-coated ammo. The wax builds up in the chamber and causes it to choke after a couple of rounds. You just can't shoot a 10/22 only a few shots. These things are hungry, so they need to keep feeding for much longer than a bolt-action would. Plated HV ammo from most makers works great. It does also feed subsonics, but needs to be cleaned after 20 shots or so. The 10-shot rotary mag works best with SS ammo. It absolutely hates the cheap bulk pack ammo. So yes, it is slightly more expensive to feed than a bolt action.

The take-down mechanism seems well made and is adjustable to ensure a tight fit. I see no issues with it. It does make transport very convenient.

The lighter rifles will not likely produce the same accuracy that good bolt actions do. That's not what they are made for. I regard it as a secondary 22 rifle to my bolt action.

So yes, do get one. Which option you choose depends on your taste and needs. You can't really go wrong.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast