Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 thoughts?

I do love my takedown but it doesn’t get the time it deserves. Chucking it in the bag and being able to pack it in the car for a trip to the farm makes the TD more desirable for me.

I did buy mine 4 years ago but R15k sounds like a lot for the TD, I paid R6800 which was full retail. Maybe shop around

User

I was speaking to a buddy that has a takedown. He loves it but when I asked, he said that every time he "takes it down" he has to rezero the scope.

The problem is due to the scope being mounted on the action so when you remove and reattach the barrel you don't seem to get the alignment perfect. I became aware of the problem when reading up about the Browning SA-22 takedown a few years back.

I have experienced the same problem with a takedown .22 Gevarm, which is why I asked him the question.

For rifles where the scope is mounted on the barrel (even with a cantilever mount attached to the barrel but stretching back over the action) the problem won't occur and it also won't occur if you're only using the open sights as both front and rear sight are mounted on the barrel.

For the record, both his 10/22 and the Gevarm hold their zero if you don't take them down.

User

I love my take down and it sees the most action especially with the kids around.
    With regards to it losing its zero I haven’t experienced that, mine holds zero every time.
    The only drawback for me is that you need an optic as there are no iron sights.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    So I got to feel a Ruger 10/22 Tactical and a Ruger 10/22 Takedown today in a gun shop, both look pretty awesome, the takedown looks a lot “cooler” at a price though...

So im wondering if anyone feels like sharing their thoughts on them?

How available are parts in SA?

Is the takedown worth the price difference?

I might need to have one for, some plinking, bird hunting, just general fun....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did you have a look at a M&P 15-22? I love mine and some say it is a better option than the 10-22. I can feed mine nearly any ammo, even the very dirty Remington Cyclone or Thunderbolts by the brick, without having to clean the rifle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raw1 View Post
    I love my take down and it sees the most action especially with the kids around.
    With regards to it losing its zero I haven’t experienced that, mine holds zero every time.
    The only drawback for me is that you need an optic as there are no iron sights.
    The stainless steel barrel ones come with iron sights

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

I have the Carbine version, it’s diet has been pretty much el-cheapo Remington green box lead, with some Winchester HV HP in between. I have a 32 round mag that always gives issues around 10 shots in, but the 10 round rotary never.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Did you have a look at a M&P 15-22? I love mine and some say it is a better option than the 10-22. I can feed mine nearly any ammo, even the very dirty Remington Cyclone or Thunderbolts by the brick, without having to clean the rifle.
    This is another option and in the same price range... what are the weak points about it though? If any?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Bulk. 10/22 is a nice small rifle. For plinking and general use, its perfect. For serious .22 combat type competition shooting, consider something else. I do use my 10/22 for SADPA multi gun shoots, but it seems that 15-22's in general is outshooting 10-22's in this part of shooting.

But just for that I am not going to buy a 15-22 as I am not a really serious competitor for score etc. I compete in my group and enjoy and learn myself. Nationals and provincials are not for me, so the 10-22 is perfect.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    This is another option and in the same price range... what are the weak points about it though? If any?

Right in the beginning mine had some feeding pains, but after I polished a couple of rough places that was sorted but I allready ordered a Volquartsen extractor and installed it while I had it. Have a look at the 15-22 Club thread under the rimfire banner, there is a couple of hundred pages of what guys did with theirs. My honest personal opinion is that if I have to start now, I'll will go the PCC route. If you reload it is nearly cheaper to reload a 9mm than a new .22 rd. And some of the PCC's work with Glock mags.
    At the 6 Mini rifle and a couple of steel challenge matches I've been to, it seems that the 15-22 are less prone to feeding problems.

User

If a rifle can relaibly shoot cheap ammo it will save you lots of money in the long run. To go through a brick at a time is not very difficult. And the frustration of clearing jams effectively, becomes very boring after a while even if you shoot for fun.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast