User

Default Question about "weak" firing pin and "dud" cartridges

Last weekend I took my newly acquired 243 to the range to zero a new scope.

Short history of this rifle, it was my father-in-law's which he graciously gave to me. I have hunted with this rifle before. Had a blast, but on that hunting trip I had 2 "dud" cartridges. I thought it was old ammo...

On the range this weekend, all seemed well until about 12 rounds in, I had 4 duds in a row, an one shot later again a "dud". New ammo. So took the 243 into a gunsmith to take a look. I believe that the "spring" of the firing pin is damaged/dirty and the gunsmith also hinted towards something like that.

The actual question:

The "dud" cartridges (that have a clear indentation on the primer area) that aren't actual duds. Can one attempt to fire these rounds again when the rifle is fixed?

Banned

Default Re: Question about "weak" firing pin and "dud" cartridges

No problem at all. If the primer is still activated it should fire without a doubt.

Banned

What make is that action, K98 actions, the firing pin can really become bogged in old grease and dirt.
    I say K98 because it’s the make that I fixed by simply washing in paraffin - fixed - like new.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    What make is that action, K98 actions, the firing pin can really become bogged in old grease and dirt.
    I say K98 because it’s the make that I fixed by simply washing in paraffin - fixed - like new.
    I was thinking along similar lines (not K98 specifically), possibly a gunked up firing pin channel. A good clean like paraffin would be a good start.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

After each time my rifles have been used, they get a pull through the barrel, oil patch over the barrel and bolt and clean patch afterwards.
    Oil sometimes makes it onto the bolt spring.
    My rifles see a lot of dust in the dry EC on my hunting vehicle or game viewer, so every year I make sure the bolts are clean.

I find the easiest way to clean them (other than stripping them), was to simply lie them in an ice cream tub with some petrol in. After about 15min you should see some oil and gunk lying in the petrol, but especially when you lift the bolt out and petrol comes out of the inner parts.

Leave the bolt in the sun to dry. Then give it a rub down with a patch very lightly oiled
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Like the guys said, check the bolt for dirt/grease that slows the firing pin down.

Also make sure that there isn't a plunger missing inside your bolt that compresses the spring slightly (Sako). My bolt fell and came apart and I didn't know adout the plunger inside, had some misfires and took rifle to gunsmith to inspect. He informed me of the plunger.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I am not sure. The bolt looks something like this:

H21471-L152578540.jpg

User

I had a similar problem with a Brno. Quite often, just putting the cartridge back in and firing it again made it go bang.

I stripped the bolt and cleaned it thoroughly and it definitely improved things but the problem didn't go away completely so eventually I came to the conclusion that the firing pin spring had lost some of it's tension.

Hope yours is just a question of cleaning.

User

How does the indentation look on the primers that did go off?

Definitely worth it to find out how the bolt strips down, then to do a detail clean inside the bolt, check the firing pin face etc.

Basically covered above. You should always avoid oil by the firing pin. Oil goes inside. And overtime most oils becomes gunky. This creates problems then. You get this on O/U shotguns alot. When oil goes in by triggers. And causes the second shot not to fire. Due to this gunk of oil that became thick