User

Default SOG Aegis for EDC?

Hi all,

I've never carried a knife and would like to get something that I can carry with me daily.

Is the SOG Aegis okay for this?
    http://tinyurl.com/38t6v85

Besides the obvious black colour, is there any difference between the Aegis and the Aegis (Black tini) which is worth the extra bucks?
    http://tinyurl.com/36o4oq3

Thanks

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: SOG Aegis for EDC?

how did it feel when you had a look at it ?
    if you like it go for it , its a good knive.
    personally i prefer a different profile for many reasons .
    there was a knife offered to you at your range which is an excellent choice as well.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

It felt fine, is it useful though as a daily defensive knife, I know diddly about knives?

I don't recall anything else being offered to me there, unless I'm totally hitting a blank?

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

you missed a lovely opportunity to do a very nice knife course this weekend. i suggest you go join AMOK! and take it from there. dont buy in a rush wait a while and handle a few .
    and this is not to say SOG is not nice but dont rush in to.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
    It felt fine, is it useful though as a daily defensive knife, I know diddly about knives?

I don't recall anything else being offered to me there, unless I'm totally hitting a blank?
    Using a knife as a SD weapon is a debate in itself. Many feel it viable others do not. I see a knife as a tool first and foremost. Anything can be used as a weapon. The longer the range the better. Carrying a knife as a weapon to a gun fight? Not worth it. Recently had a discussion with someone where they carried a knife as a SD weapon, pulled it out to defend himself and they pulled a 9mm on him. Luckily did not shoot him but remember there are a lot of variables in every attack that can make it go your way, or worse end up in your death.

I agree with KK20 training is important, but do not train to a point where you fool yourself into thinking and becoming dependent on you knife as your only SD tool. Your mind is your number one thing you should train.

If you like the knife then go for it. There are plenty of other options out there as well. AUS 8 Steel is good alloy that will give you a great edge for every day carry, however it will dull faster then more expensive alloys. What do you do in your day to day life? It might give an indication as to what can be recommended and what is your budget.

There are many very good reasons to EDC one or more blades on your person, not the least of which is that throughout history, a good knife has always been a useful tool to keep handy. The AMOK! guys can show you many other uses for a good blade, as can instructors like Swattie. (use for retention of your handgun under some circumstances is but one)

I'm with KK20...get some training first if possible. If not, the SOG is one of many suitable knives that should serve you well. From a cost / usefulness standpoint I am partial to the Spyderco Endura and Delica myself.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!