Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: .30cal 178Gr Hornady ELD-X

Perhaps there is another option for You. Apparently Hornady interbonds are supposed to print exactly like SST's .
    I use SST'S for target use and possibly small antelope and I have ordered Interbonds to test if they in fact they do as promised. I'll keep You posted .

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Banned

The ELD-X has shown itself to be a bit too weak for those under 100 m shots, and the meat damage was widespread. I would assume from what I have seen that it would become "just right" out at 300 m kind of shots on game.
    We contemplate these fancy name bullets at high prices, but never consider the good old Game King - Hornady Interlocks etc., Bullets that work cheaply and have done so for many years.
    The 308 Win is really not a fancy bullet gun, a well-constructed Interlock, Game King or Claw bullet works just fine in a .308.
    I always said that my .308 was faster killing with Hornady interlocks than the Interbonds.
    T Stone what say you about a plain cup and core for the .308?

Get a price on the Claw Bullets, they good to go.

User

I have used Hornady Interlocks extensively in 6.5x55, 7x57, .30-'06, .300 win mag, 375 H&H and a little in the 9.3x62 and .416 rem mag. With the exception of the .375 H&H where the 300gr RN was surprisingly fragile and unreliable on eland, they worked well. I still would not recommend it for a large eland bull, except in the .416 and I would not recommend it for blue wildebeest in anything smaller than .308 caliber in the 180gr+ weights.

I have less experience with the Sierra Gameking, having killed ±40 head of game with the 140gr version in the 6.5x55. I would not recommend it for a large eland bull either.

If you're going after an animal that cost you R20k or more, does it make sense to economize on bullets? And then there is the ethical issue, do you want to lose an animal wounded if it could simply have been avoided by a premium bullet that would have made it through that eland bull's shoulder into the vitals?

For general hunting with the .308 win the Hornady Interlock and Sierra Gameking is fine but how suited are they to target shooting, which the OP want to use them for? Claw bullets make good shorter range hunting bullets, however, in my (admittedly limited) experience with them they are not accurate enough for target shooting which the OP want to engage in.

User

Target bullets, meant for target shooting, hunting bullets, meant for hunting.
    Practice with a target bullet and hunt with a hunting bullet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cbotha15 View Post
    That is why I am here asking the people who know what they are talking about. You can save a lot of time, money and effort by learning from others who have done it way longer that I have.
    +1

Loving these posts as the are informative and adds value!

I found the nosler range / variety to be very very close to each other if you stick to the same weights. I’m lucky to have virtually no change in impact between BT and accubonds and RDF in same weights.

Do you guys have an opinion on the swift bullets? I guess i watched to many “This is Africa” episodes which made me wonder Are they worth the price tag, or would one be better off buying a box of premium ammunition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Theuno de Bruin View Post
    +1

Loving these posts as the are informative and adds value!

I found the nosler range / variety to be very very close to each other if you stick to the same weights. I’m lucky to have virtually no change in impact between BT and accubonds and RDF in same weights.

Do you guys have an opinion on the swift bullets? I guess i watched to many “This is Africa” episodes which made me wonder Are they worth the price tag, or would one be better off buying a box of premium ammunition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From the information I have read and people that I have spoken to the Swift A frame bullets are top class premium hunting bullets

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kouros View Post
    Perhaps there is another option for You. Apparently Hornady interbonds are supposed to print exactly like SST's .
    I use SST'S for target use and possibly small antelope and I have ordered Interbonds to test if they in fact they do as promised. I'll keep You posted .

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    In my limited experience, this is correct. Work up a load, and target practice with the SST, and use the Interbond to hunt.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    In my limited experience, this is correct. Work up a load, and target practice with the SST, and use the Interbond to hunt.
    Exactly right. I confirmed it the long way round by doing load development for both, and ending up with the exact same load for both.

To the OP: Mayby I'm just lucky, but I really dont find the POIs and trajectories (over hunting distances) markedly different even between bullets of different manufacturers or profiles (given similar bullet weights and launch speeds). So you really can do range shooting with one brand's "Superpaperpuncher 'n steelringer" and hunt with another brand's "Max-o-Penetrator". Up to about 300m the trajectories are essentially independent of BC, and POI shifts you compensate for with a single scope adjustment (I mean, you're going to check zero on your scope at the hunting venue anyway). These days we have excellent choices in bullets; if you're going to be a "one rifle man", then limiting yourself to one bullet as well is shortsighted, imho.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2