Page 205 of 221 FirstFirst ... 105 155 195 203 204 205 206 207 215 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 2209
    User

Default Re: Coronavirus. Already here?

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post

In that light, we now force people to wear masks, for a few thousand deaths.
    Remarkable how we don’t FORCE people to live healthy since they kill themselves each day with poor lifestyle choices.

The difference, people will say they have a right to eat and drink what they want, funny that magically they want other people to be forced to wear a mask, take away their rights on a whim when it suits them.

I am sure you can see that this cannot be fair?
    The mask is to help limit the spread out from you, not as much to protect you. If you don't want to wear a seat belt I don't want you forced to wear a seat belt, that only affects you. Driving a car that is unroadworthy puts other people at risk, not just you. Driving drunk does the same. If you were doing so inside a big warehouse or stadium with nobody else around, fine do what you want.

As soon as your actions might be affecting the health of others then there is a lot more validity to mandating certain behavior, within reason. We do this all the time

"Ok but if you would estimate what percentage of people have a genetic co-morbidity in society, one percent?"
    Add the the other factors I mentioned and the percentage of people over 50 years of age would rise significantly. On age alone the likelihood of high blood pressure goes up with age.Exercise all you want but age is the great equaliser eventually.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post

As soon as your actions might be affecting the health of others then there is a lot more validity to mandating certain behavior, within reason. We do this all the time
    All health related choices affect others, all of them.

About 650 000 people die from heart disease in the states each year alone, in fact the bad health choices of unhealthy the world over hogs the healthcare system. The result, well look at medical aid, in the states health insurance is super high, and I can post you the overweight and obesity stats if you want it. In SA, well we all know what medical aids costs, and we are every bit as overweight as the Americans.

The Covid we fear so much is just a drop in the ocean compared to the way humans kill themselves.
    So you say actions that influence others, if you tell me to wear a mask, I have the right to tell the majority of the people to do something about their fat asses, if they don't, they don't tell me to wear a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    All health related choices affect others, all of them.

About 650 000 people die from heart disease in the states each year alone, in fact the bad health choices of unhealthy the world over hogs the healthcare system. The result, well look at medical aid, in the states health insurance is super high, and I can post you the overweight and obesity stats if you want it. In SA, well we all know what medical aids costs, and we are every bit as overweight as the Americans.

The Covid we fear so much is just a drop in the ocean compared to the way humans kill themselves.
    So you say actions that influence others, if you tell me to wear a mask, I have the right to tell the majority of the people to do something about their fat asses, if they don't, they don't tell me to wear a mask.

Ha Ha. People dont have fat asses. They have a "fuller figure".

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    What is the point of wearing a mask?
    Or rather: What is the point of wearing a mask that cannot prevent the spread of the virus?

I also wonder: (actually I don't wonder, I know its bullshit) If I can smell droplets of stale (perhaps even slightly carcinogenic) cooking oil from a McDonald's or KFC through a mask from about 80 meters + away when walking my dog, how fucking stupid must one be to think that the same mask will stop a virus coming from; or going to someone standing 2 meters from me?

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Or rather: What is the point of wearing a mask that cannot prevent the spread of the virus?

I also wonder: (actually I don't wonder, I know its bullshit) If I can smell droplets of stale (perhaps even slightly carcinogenic) cooking oil from a McDonald's or KFC through a mask from about 80 meters + away when walking my dog, how fucking stupid must one be to think that the same mask will stop a virus coming from; or going to someone standing 2 meters from me?
    Extremely.
    And the point is control and conditioning.

Its the viral load that is relevant. There is research available on this very subject.

User

Just as an aside- our workload has increased dramatically, and 97% are COVID. It has got to the point where I am considering installing another fridge

User

Wearing a mask will not prevent you from getting it. That is a given. But wearing a mask will prevent you sneezing out the virus as the droplets will be caught in the cloth. That was said many times and proven scientifically. Why do you not believe this? Is it not a fact that if everyone wore a mask from the start that there would have been far less infections? I do not agree about the alcohol ban etc, but regarding the masks. Hell yes. I hate it when someone enters my office and speaks with spit falling on my desk. "Sorry" does not cut it during this pandemic. They say for now, you must trust nobody as people seemingly healthy can still infect you.

User

The volatile organics causing the smell of hot oil and cooking are orders of magnitude smaller than virus particle alone so I'm not sure what you think this observation proves

I'm sure by now you have seen or had someone mention that the objective of the mask is not to stop individual virus particles though, but rather respiratory droplets and mucus that would contain thousands of them. It's not a gaurentee, it's not a 'this will 100% stop the spread and keep you safe' talisman, it's an extra step to try reduce the R0 a bit more than social distancing alone.

Even if it makes a person only 10 % less contagious on average, the compounding effects of this by every infected person could lead to a significantly lower overall rate of spread.

Combining small measures together such as social distancing, PPE where appropriate, washing more frequently, sanitiser for when you can't wash, those who can working from home etc will limit the effects on the economy and health system and make the argument for a hard lockdown weaker

Page 205 of 221 FirstFirst ... 105 155 195 203 204 205 206 207 215 ... LastLast