Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default SADPA CIRCULAR NO 3

Good day

What are you take on the newest circular and the decisions taken ?

I know I'll get slapped for this, but I don't care. I'm glad that SADPA made this decision. Actually, they should've thought about it earlier. They lost a lot of members. No,I don't have stats to support my statement. Only personal experience of friends leaving this sport. Too many...

Yes I know I opened up a can of Zombie worms.... But I would still appreciate opinions from GS members.

Regards

KZ

User

Default Re: SADPA CIRCULAR NO 3

For the uninformed, what decision was taken?

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

STATE OF SADPA

As most of our members are aware, SADPA has gone through some immense difficult times over the last two years and it finally seems like everything is back on track and will improve in the next couple of months. There have been a number of developments and it is clear to the Exco that the members are still not sure what exactly is currently going on. This letter serves to diminish that confusion and shed light on some of the questions.

Do I need to be a member of IDPA to be a member of SADPA?
    No you do not. As of the release of the SADPA MPD (Multi-Platform Defensive) Rulebook. SADPA members can now participate in the SADPA Shooting Discipline without the need to be a member of IDPA.

Can I participate in IDPA events without being an IDPA member?
    No you can't. In order to participate in any IDPA event, you are required to be a member of IDPA. Regardless of the Level of the event.

Can I participate in SADPA MPD events without being an IDPA member?
    Yes you can. In order to participate in SADPA MPD events, you are only required to be a member of SADPA. Being a member of IDPA is not a prerequisite.

What happened to DMG? Why MPD?
    The answer to this question is multi-fold.

At the 2019 SADPA AGM it was mandated by the members that there are many issues with the then DMG Rulebook. A committee was elected at the event by the members present to make adjustments and recommendations to IDPA and request that the rules be changed accordingly. The committee did as was requested by the members and made the changes. Before the recommendations could be submitted to IDPA, the SADPA and MPD Rulebook Committee received this letter from IDPA stating that they will no longer be supporting or endorsing DMG in anyway and it gives SADPA permission to change the rules, with some restrictions being applied. (IDPA LETTER REGARDING DMG)

These developments required the MPD Committee not to only make the changes that it already committed to, but required a full review of the entire rulebook to ensure that we comply with the restrictions as set out by IDPA. Hence the drastic change and modification to the Rulebook. In order to lessen confusion and prevent older understanding regarding the rules, the decision was made to change the name completely.

Do I need to be an IDPA SO to officiate and MPD Matches?
    No. During the development and fine tuning stage of the MPD Rules. SADPA Will accept any of the following officials to officiate at an MPD event.

IDPA Certified Safety Officers IPSC Certified Range Officers PFTC Certified Range Officers.

The MPD Committee is in the process of writing the Officials Handbook and better explanation will be in that handbook. Our team is committed to have this finalized soonest and to start MPD Officials Training in March / April.

For any queries or concerns. Please contact any of the current directors. They are more than willing to assist and lay any rumors to rest.

User

Seems like the rules for competing and belonging to SADPA just went back to what they were before?

I don’t really see the issue now

It seems that way P. But now we don't have to pay IDPA in the USA $40 if you choose so. Which i think the majority will do (I may be very wrong... but maybe very right)

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    I don’t really see the issue now
    Only real issue I can see is at club level.
    What are clubs going to do? Shoot more MPD and less IDPA?
    As it is with the first batch of IDPA normalization (that is brining SADPA inline wit the rest of the IDPA world wide community) there has already been a drop in the amount of leagues being run by clubs due to the additional admin (and possibly the fee that needs to be paid over to IDPA).
    So in the long rung it could mean the Death of IPDA in SA (which I hope it does not become the case as I do enjoy IDPA). If clubs are only hosting MPD matches eventually shooters will not be renewing IDPA memberships, as it stands many people only registered with IDPA in order to maintain DSS status. SADPA will maintain status with IDPA however I am unsure if paying over royalties etc is enough if matches are not been done.

As MPD HG currently uses IDPA targets and would have similar principles to IDPA, I think it may be possible for a club to host an Dual Platform match which is both compliant to MPD and IDPA, might be a bit of an admin hassle but doable I think. So I do hope that something like this happens or clubs continue with IDPA club and league shoots so that we do not loose IDPA.

It must also be noted that the MPD rules are in the "provisional" stage and only the first drafts of Rule books etc are being finalized. So with the shooters input MPD can become a great multi-gun platform during this provisional period.

User

There is actually a lot more behind this than the circular states (Most of it good actually)

SADPA members who cannot afford the 40 Dollars for IDPA can still shoot (Multi Platform HF / SG or Rifle matches), get dedicated points and keep their guns as well as getting endorsements for new guns. They just wont be able to compete in IDPA matches.

But the BIG STORY is actually this: Say for example a group of SADPA members want to do something like ICORE / WheelgunnutsRus they can present their rulebook to SADPA; get the rules endorsed by SADPA, have shoots, upload results, get DSS points etc... It will be glorious!

But before the IDPA haters go on a crusade because "We don't need IDPA anymore"...

SADPA's legal status is basically "A Sport shooting org. with international affiliation". Take away that affiliation and we lose our legal status. SARS takes everything in the SADPA account and CFR no longer recognises us and no one will be able to "prove a need" when applying for a licence, or renewing for that matter. Thankfully the current exco pulled a rabbit out of their collective hat... We get to keep our guns. (Literally that is what was at stake...)

But I think that a lot of SADPA members will also affiliate with IDPA and IDPA will continue growing in SA. SADPA members will now just be able to do other stuff aside from JUST IDPA... and get DSS points, endorsements etc...for a mere R400 per year :) (Club fees excluded)

One would have to be really thick to not realise the advantages.

User

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    It seems that way P. But now we don't have to pay IDPA in the USA $40 if you choose so. Which i think the majority will do (I may be very wrong... but maybe very right)
    Majority will pay the 40$ or will majority not pay the 40$?

My worry is that majority do not continue with IDPA. IDPA numbers in SA are already small, with probably less than 1/2(just guessing this number) of the paid members actually participating on a regular basis.

User

At my last club shoot it was mentioned that COFs for MPD and IDPA will be the same. So as I understand it, the stage will consist of the same amount of targets in the same positions, just the rules and scoring differ.

Why would anyone want to pay 40$ extra per year to shoot the same COF? My 40$ saving will be used on ammo.

User

Quote Originally Posted by singh17 View Post
    Majority will pay the 40$ or will majority not pay the 40$?

My worry is that majority do not continue with IDPA. IDPA numbers in SA are already small, with probably less than 1/2(just guessing this number) of the paid members actually participating on a regular basis.
    Even if a large group of SADPA members do not remain IDPA members there will still be enough participation for IDPA to be a regular thing. Kenya has a healthy IDPA community despite many challenges such as not being allowed to load your own ammo.

MPDS or any other type of shooting discipline doesn't have to be a threat to IDPA in SA. It will depend on individual clubs however. At some clubs there may be no IDPA members, at others the majority may be IDPA members. Guess we will have to wait and see. I for one will continue doing the IDPA thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast