Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default DIY Fire lighters

With thanks to Spectre!

For a long time I was a subscriber to tea bags soaked in diesel, but they burn away to fast. Then I tried Spectre's method:

Save your empty egg cartons (cardboard type). Two or three thirty trays is enough for a batch.

Tear the cardboard into small pieces and put them in a mixing bowl. Fill the mixing bowl with water and soak the cardboard for approximately 6 hours. Then mush it up in the water to break it down completely (my kids helped with this step and loved it).

Now take the mush and squeeze as much water out while rolling it into a small ball. 2 to 3cm in diameter is fine. Let them dry out for a few days in the sun (until bone dry).

Chuck the dried balls into a container filled with diesel or paraffin, they stay rock solid balls (I have soaked some in diesel for a month).

I use three to start a fire. Works like a charm!

Banned

Default Re: DIY Fire lighters

Tea bags burn much longer if you add a large portion of old cooking oil.
    Paraffin - cooking oil and tea bags burn for ages.
    Certain sandstone when soaked like teabags also work very well.
    The simplest and most available is to dip a Charcoal briquette or three in paraffin.

User

I've found some type of cellulose- paper, cardboard, egg carton, cotton balls etc, soaked with cooking oil works just fine and is simple and quick. Bonus is no harsh chemical smells like with paraffin or regular fire lighters

User

I use dried teabags in parrafin
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

I soak the robot salesman's heel scrubbers in paraffin. Works well and is reusable

User

We just used torn up cardboard to light wood fires. Works great. Have tons of cardboard from shopping at fruit and veg. Doesn't work for charcoal fires though.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

I use a mayonnaise or similar bottle. Fill halfway with petrol. Broke polystyrene in peaces and put it in the petrol. You will be surprise to see how much polystyrene fit in the bottle. It makes something like a jelly. Just use a stick, put it in the bottle and turn it a few time to get some of the jelly onto the stick. Just make sure petrol level is a little bit above the jelly, to prevent from dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by PduPreez View Post
    I use a mayonnaise or similar bottle. Fill halfway with petrol. Broke polystyrene in peaces and put it in the petrol. You will be surprise to see how much polystyrene fit in the bottle. It makes something like a jelly. Just use a stick, put it in the bottle and turn it a few time to get some of the jelly onto the stick. Just make sure petrol level is a little bit above the jelly, to prevent from dry out.
    So you’re basically making napalm to start your fires.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    So you’re basically making napalm to start your fires.
    Let's be honest, it's not the worst idea someone could come up with to start a fire.

User

I tried the tea bag in paraffin method and it frustrated me too much, I then bought a looftlighter

https://www.takealot.com/looftlighte...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

But the Napalm sounds like a winner

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast