Default Competency app question

Hey there,

I have a friend who's applying for his SAPS competency and one of the questions asks if you have been treated for depression within the last 5 years. So he was diagnosed with it around 3 years ago due to work stress or whatever and has since recovered but has lost contact with the therapist that he spoke to in order to get a letter stating he is fine now.

He is now considering just putting NO, in the application. Will this bite him in the ass later? Or is this not something to be worried about. Like do SAPS check if you have been to a therapist on some database or whatever?

Has anyone else had trouble with putting a yes and submitting a letter supporting you are now okay?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: Competency app question

If he was treated within the last 5 years the answer is Yes? It is a straight forward question and answer. At the end of the form he is going to sign that all information is correct. Whatever the circumstances, it is against the law to fill out forms in a way to suite an individual. It is like lying in court.

And yes, it might bite him later. What if he need to use his firearm in the future and during the proceedings it is checked on his application and in the mean time it is found out that he lied. The courts might have a field day with him and might even convict him of murder in stead of self defense.

Don't lie on SAPS forms. Motivate correctly and get the proof documents. Maybe get a new diagnosis and attach it?

User

Be honest, answer correctly, and motivate with paperwork, Like Adoons said.

They could reject his competency if they discover he lied and that will be more difficult to explain than explaining the situation from the start

Awesome, thanks guys, I also suggested he just do it honestly just in case.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

SAPS will check history if there is a criminal offense related to it, as far as i know. Domestic instances should be fine with a "No" reply. Still be better to contact a center that handles these applications for a confirmed answer.