Default Restoring a bayonet

I received a bayonet from a friend's dad.
    Attachment 31500
    As far as I can tell in comparisons on the web of the scabbard and blade, it's a Lee Enfield variant, perhaps the No 5 Mk I or the Sterling Submachine Gun. Due to the bayonet handle being redone in brass (no idea why he did this), the manufacturer markings seem to have been removed.

I want to restore it as close to original as possible.
    Any idea where I can get the hilt accessories (grip etc) and the crosspiece / muzzle ring?
    Would I have to manufacture these myself? If this is the case - if anyone here can give me approximate dimensions, that would be fantastic.

User

Default Re: Restoring a bayonet

To be honest, the financial viability of restoring the bayonet to original may not be worth it.

The stamped markings should be at the base of the blade on the heel near the bolster.

As the original condition and value has been lost, it May be better to look for another to buy as a collectors piece and use your current bayonet as a work piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-stick View Post
    To be honest, the financial viability of restoring the bayonet to original may not be worth it.

The stamped markings should be at the base of the blade on the heel near the bolster.

As the original condition and value has been lost, it May be better to look for another to buy as a collectors piece and use your current bayonet as a work piece.
    TBH I'm more interested in the project than the value.
    It's a cool weekend job, but if I'm going to do it, I want to do it nicely / properly.
    If I'm struggling to get real parts, I'll do the grips again nicely in wood and make a lookalike muzzle ring

User

In that case a totally different story.
    Enjoy the tinkering and rebuild.

Finally finished with the tinkering.
    This is what it looks like now

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk