Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Complete Lineup of All Rifle and Pistol Ammunition

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, if so move if need be.

Pretty sweet pic that I have had for a while now, thought others might like it.
    Pity the software resizes it, if anyone wants the original large file, just PM me and I'll e-mail it to you.

Complete-Rifle-Pistol-Guide.jpg

User

Default Re: Complete Lineup of All Rifle and Pistol Ammunition

"Some", even "many" but not "complete" and "all" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    "Some", even "many" but not "complete" and "all" ;-)
    Heh ok, good to know, still a nice pic to have for comparison.

Banned

Nice pic but even at a glance its faaaaaaaaar faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from complete.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Nice pic but even at a glance its faaaaaaaaar faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from complete.
    Yeah realised that when couldn't find a .308 Winchester, the very caliber of my own rifle :) Guess they didn't want the pic to be too big.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Yeah realised that when couldn't find a .308 Winchester, the very caliber of my own rifle :) Guess they didn't want the pic to be too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Well it's not the exact same size. Which is why it's not a good idea to use .308 ammo in a 7.62x51 rifle. I believe it is the headspace where the main difference lies and the smaller .308 ammo can "rattle" if it's too small. It's the other way round with 7.62x51 in a .308 rifle where you sometimes have a bit of effort chambering a round. I've tested quite a bit of ammo recently and this has been my experience. Though the majority of 7.62x51 seem to chamber just fine. It's the minority that don't.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Well it's not the exact same size. Which is why it's not a good idea to use .308 ammo in a 7.62x51 rifle. I believe it is the headspace where the main difference lies and the smaller .308 ammo can "rattle" if it's too small. It's the other way round with 7.62x51 in a .308 rifle where you sometimes have a bit of effort chambering a round. I've tested quite a bit of ammo recently and this has been my experience. Though the majority of 7.62x51 seem to chamber just fine. It's the minority that don't.
    https://www.docdroid.net/shd8/the-truth-about-308-win-and-762-nato.pdf Probably the clearest explanation I have seen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    https://www.docdroid.net/shd8/the-truth-about-308-win-and-762-nato.pdf Probably the clearest explanation I have seen yet.
    Thanks, will read later. At a quick glance it also mentions the headspace is different, but goes on to say that "The external dimensions of the two types of ammunition are nearly identical". Nearly, so not exact, but does say that it is fine to use ammo interchangeably. Amazing that there are so many differing opinions out there :)

Like I said, personally I have found that the NATO rounds do very seldomly require a little more effort to chamber (in my Howa 1500). But really is negligible IMO.

User

Interesting read, thanks Janfred.

The age old debate given a bit more clarity again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast