Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default Re: Need Help Removing Rust

Does anyone know where I can get some Oxpho-Blue paste/liquid in SA?

I've searched high and low and no one seems to have it. The alternatives like Birchwood Casey's Super Blue apparently is prone to rust and Oxpho is the best there is for cold bluing (maybe using a hairdryer) exposed metal.

Or alternatively does anyone have any recommendations for touching up bluing on a gun. Just small areas.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get some Oxpho-Blue paste/liquid in SA?

I've searched high and low and no one seems to have it. The alternatives like Birchwood Casey's Super Blue apparently is prone to rust and Oxpho is the best there is for cold bluing (maybe using a hairdryer) exposed metal.

Or alternatively does anyone have any recommendations for touching up bluing on a gun. Just small areas.
    Blueing IS prone to rusting, since it is merely a controlled rusting process.

Not sure if the BC product is actual blueing or another blackening method.

Whatever blueing method you use, it is your application of rust preventative (i.e. oil) that keeps the rust at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Blueing IS prone to rusting, since it is merely a controlled rusting process.

Not sure if the BC product is actual blueing or another blackening method.

Whatever blueing method you use, it is your application of rust preventative (i.e. oil) that keeps the rust at bay.
    Yeah looks like I will have to go the BC route as importing Oxpho-Blue is prohibited and just maintain the firearm well. Going the Eezox route.

Can someone tell me what the Maverick 88 Security shotgun's barrel is made of as I want to get the right bluing solution. I'm currently looking at Super Blue.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/mav...ecurity-31046/

Also from what metal is the old Taurus snubnose revolver's frame made of for the same reason.

From the research I've done it is says they are both made steel, but not stainless? Because Super Blue doesn't work on stainless, as per this:

For blueing highly polished steel parts and hardened steels containing nickel and chrome alloys (except stainless)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5