Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Need Help Removing Rust

Bought a secondhand firearm and there is some rust on it.

What is the best way to remove it without scratching the finish.
    I tried youtube but it's mostly Americans using American products.

User

Default Re: Need Help Removing Rust

Fine steel wool with thin oil.

User

It will be much better to use a small, fine bristle brass brush as available at most building merchants.
    Even a good old bore brush will do the trick but the short bristle length restricts where they reach.

Elbow grease and time is the key factor, rather make an effort and take the longer time option even if it takes longer to clean and finish than try and do it too quickly and damage the surface.

The steel wool (even the fine wool) is more abrasive and will more than likely leave scratches leaving damage to the finish.
    After that a polish and re-blue is the next step at a gunsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-stick View Post
    It will be much better to use a small, fine bristle brass brush as available at most building merchants.
    Even a good old bore brush will do the trick but the short bristle length restricts where they reach.

Elbow grease and time is the key factor, rather make an effort and take the longer time option even if it takes longer to clean and finish than try and do it too quickly and damage the surface.

The steel wool (even the fine wool) is more abrasive and will more than likely leave scratches leaving damage to the finish.
    After that a polish and re-blue is the next step at a gunsmith.
    Do you recommend I just use regular gun oil as the lubricant?

User

I use Trisol spray, it is cheap enough.

The added benefits are that it penetrates into the pitted or rusted area and helps with the rust, minimising further spread.

User

Ballistol

User

I use Ballistol & EXTRA EXTRA FINE steel wool. It's got a grade of 0000 or something like that. Doesn't harm the finish at all.

You definitely won't be able to get it at Pick 'n Pay. The only place that I know of that stocks it in Cape Town is Hardware Centre in Maitland. It also costs more than the stuff from Pick 'n Pay or Builders Warehouse but you will enough left over that you will be able to bequeath it to your great-grandson because you won't use much to clean up a single firearm. Hardware Centre also have a branch in Gauteng but dunno if this helps you because you don't say where you are. There are probably other speciality woodworking stores in the country that stock it.

Thanks guys, appreciate it.
    I'm in Cape Town by the way.

User

Default Need Help Removing Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-stick View Post
    I use Trisol spray, it is cheap enough.

The added benefits are that it penetrates into the pitted or rusted area and helps with the rust, minimising further spread.
    Trisol generally leaves a sticky residue which catches dust quickly, rather try Ballistol in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Trisol generally leaves a sticky residue which catches dust quickly, rather try Ballistol in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Is this the one https://safarioutdoor.co.za/ballisto...0ml-21810.html

or is it one of these http://suburbanguns.co.za/index.php?...egory&path=138

Suburban Guns would suit me better if they have it as they are just around the corner from me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast