Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Need Help Removing Rust

Keep in mind, a way to remove the dirty oil and rusted particles is to wipe or immerse the STEEL ONLY part or parts in/with Acetone.

The Acetone will help break down the old built up residue of previous oils etc and allow the oil you are cleaning with to penetrate deeper.

Whichever oil and cleaning method you use, good luck with the cleaning process.

Banned

You can now buy all copper/brass "steel" wool at any of the 101 Chinese shops that have sprung up. The Americans call their brand GoldiLocks.

I personally use a brass bore brush (always keep old no longer tight barrel fit brush's) and ATF hydraulic oil. ATF has very good penetration and cleaning properties, it aids lifting rust and gets under rust. Wrap a wet soaked cloth on spot overnight before attacking problem area.

A "thing" I tried once and was impressed with, but have not had chance to retry is this. Use a copper bore brush and cold bluing liquid to remove rust. I was fooling around on an old .22 and got the chance to scrub out a spot of rust with this method. I thought it worked better than well, but since I have not had a need to test method again I have not determined if the rust spot was easy or the method better than other methods.
    Scrub - do not clean scrub, reapply liquid scrub leave and wipe off.
    Wear gloves and ABSOLUTELY MUST WEAR CLOSED EYE PROTECTION.

Banned

You can also make a solution of water and citric acid ( available in powder form from any big supermarket), brush it on to the rust and watch it bubble and remove the rust.

Quote Originally Posted by da_asassin View Post
    You can also make a solution of water and citric acid ( available in powder form from any big supermarket), brush it on to the rust and watch it bubble and remove the rust.
    Interesting, how much citric acid and how much water?

User

For decades the main go-to was parrafin and steel wool. Worked well enough. Just remember, rust is a breakdown of the blueing and metal surface. There is no method known to man that will remove the rust and not leave a mark.

User

I’ve used Evaporust. US product and available at builders.

Doubt you can isolate the removal unless you soak a cloth in the solution and place it over the affected area. Hi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

It depends on what the base metal and surface treatment is. If we are talking about rust blued steel, then fine steel wool soaked in penetrating oil is likely the best. Also soak the rusted area well before treatment. Rub the rusted part lightly with the soaked steel wool. Do not apply force. Contrary to normal intuition, the fine steel wool will not scratch the undamaged blueing. Where the rust is removed, obviously you can not expect to see perfect blueing. That was eaten by the rust, not the steel wool.

Absolutely avoid all the plastic scouring pads. These will definitely scratch everything and quickly remove blueing.

When using chemical rust removers, remember that normal gun blue is also just a controlled rusting process. Most of these will strip blueing very well...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Interesting, how much citric acid and how much water?
    About half a teaspoon of citric acid to 50ml water.You can fiddle with the concentration of the solution if it's not strong enough. I use it to clean surface rust off of die sets and nuts and bolts.On bare Metals, it will strip the rust and leave an anodized like matt silver finish

The acid treatment will remove the rust but if not neutralised very well make it prone to corrosion again.

Take some wire, put one half of a length in hydrochloric acid (20 seconds will do) and then leave it outside for a week, see which half looks better after that.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

What do you guys think of this guys recommendation. Basically 0000 steel wool soaked heavily in gun oil (he says use whatever lubricant you choose is fine) and get to work. He says he's been in the secondhand firearm's business for ages. He also says that this is for surface rust and anything worse use a bronze brush.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast