Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Best self defense ammo for a glock

Quote Originally Posted by mac 13 View Post
    So winchester are still making ammo that could be accused of discrimination like the Black Tallons ? 

Modern hollow points are "barrier blind", they penetrate through clothing, car doors, glass ect WITHOUT expanding, they only expand when penetrating Ballistics Gel, or a human in a self defense case.
    [/QUOTE]

They dont make Black Talons any more, many years now, as far as I know they were replaced with the Ranger T series

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    127gn is lighter with higher velocity and more felt recoil. 147gn is heavier, slower and less felt recoil. In the Ranger T series the performance is similar with regards to penetration, expansion and weight retention. The reduced recoil tips it in the favor of the 147gn for me. Also less wear on your pistol

I carry 147gn Rangers in my G19.

Modern SD ammo is designed and tested to be barrier blind. Shooting through windscreens ect would not be a problem. Tires on the other hand would stop just about any handgun round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok great... I wanted the less recoil so im going to switch to 147

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Better tell the hundreds of sport shooters to stop using reloads in their Glocks then??

Oh and the Ferarri of SD ammo is Hornady Critical Defense or Critical Duty, I have never even fired them because I like to have money left to eat for the month....

Look at the lucky Gunner link that Matu posted, very usefull stuff
    I just had a look at the hornady critical defense. They have a pink insert in the tip of the round. Looks pretty sick.

R550 for 25.

User

There are a number of good options for carry ammo on the market.

Winester Ranger T
    Federal HST
    Horady Critical Duty
    Speer Gold Dot

These are a few good options available in South Africa.

The Winchester Ranger Ts are the most cost effctive option as already discued and have a proven track record. I've used the 127 +P+ and the 147g option and I prefer the 147's.

Also, as discussed, function test at least 50. Swap the rounds you carry out after 6 months to a year.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury1 View Post
    I just had a look at the hornady critical defense. They have a pink insert in the tip of the round. Looks pretty sick.

R550 for 25.

Great ammo, ill get some for my G43 when I get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Great ammo, ill get some for my G43 when I get it back.
    Function test 50 and you're out 1 grand

I'll stick to the winchester rangers thank you very much

User

Steven noob question

Can you explain to me the difference between the gran example 127grain and 147grain

Which has less recoil?
    Which has a higher velocity

Also
    Is is true that hollowpoints wont penetrate through anything example a tyre, glass

Hollow points will penetrate through glass i.e. a window. I am not even sure glass would cause it to expand properly, now that I think about it, but could be wrong on that

User

Howzit Bud...

I would take a step back from buying outrageously priced SD "hyper" ammo. Rather buy good quality ball ammo that has a matching hollow-point counterpart of the same brand. What I mean by this, as an example, buy the basic "bread and butter" 115 grain S&B black box FMJ for about R230-R280 per box of 50, then buy its counter part 115 grain S&B black box JHP for about R350-R400 per box of 50. Train with the ball ammo and carry the JHP's. You will be confident that the recoil characteristics are the same, firearm is reliable and functions well with this brand type, JHP or FMJ, and that there will be no POI shift when switching between FMJ's or JHP's. I have personally chronographed S&B 115 grain Ball and JHP through my 10" Stribog and 3.75" P07 and found that the Ball is about 20-30fps faster than the JHP in my Stribog, this variance is negligible (around 1350 fps average) and pretty much equal out the P07 (1080 fps average). POI remaining the same.

I am quite sure that you won't find much hype about plain old S&B. I am also quite sure that well known manufacturers these days would not sell you something like this that is absolutely useless. I am also sure other manufacturers use this same approach in marketing the same product in both FMJ and JHP format, for this specific reason.

Rather spend money on training and lots of ammunition so that you can get the projectile where it needs to be in a high stress environment, rather than "super ammo".

Regards

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by Dvyant View Post
    Howzit Bud...

I would take a step back from buying outrageously priced SD "hyper" ammo. Rather buy good quality ball ammo that has a matching hollow-point counterpart of the same brand. What I mean by this, as an example, buy the basic "bread and butter" 115 grain S&B black box FMJ for about R230-R280 per box of 50, then buy its counter part 115 grain S&B black box JHP for about R350-R400 per box of 50. Train with the ball ammo and carry the JHP's. You will be confident that the recoil characteristics are the same, firearm is reliable and functions well with this brand type, JHP or FMJ, and that there will be no POI shift when switching between FMJ's or JHP's. I have personally chronographed S&B 115 grain Ball and JHP through my 10" Stribog and 3.75" P07 and found that the Ball is about 20-30fps faster than the JHP in my Stribog, this variance is negligible (around 1350 fps average) and pretty much equal out the P07 (1080 fps average). POI remaining the same.

I am quite sure that you won't find much hype about plain old S&B. I am also quite sure that well known manufacturers these days would not sell you something like this that is absolutely useless. I am also sure other manufacturers use this same approach in marketing the same product in both FMJ and JHP format, for this specific reason.

Rather spend money on training and lots of ammunition so that you can get the projectile where it needs to be in a high stress environment, rather than "super ammo".

Regards

Ant
    Well said and I totally agree, no point having the best ammo when you cant hit the target.

That being said rather one shot then 5

User

Well said and I totally agree, no point having the best ammo when you cant hit the target.

That being said rather one shot then 5

Ranger T’s are not much more expensive than the S&B JHP ammo mentioned. At least it’s tested and performs well in the FBI tests. I would rather pay the extra R100 per 50 for the peace of mind it gives me.

S&B range ammo is great and also a great source of decent brass for reloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast