Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default AK: Which to buy

Hi,

I have a choice of buying one of the following new Aks:

A. Type 56 @ R7500 (fixed stock)
    B. Saiga @ R10 500 (folding stock)

Then I have a choice of a used type 56 @ R7500 with the following description :

"Fitted with aftermarket, ATI fore-grip with top and side picatinny rails, ATI pistol grip and ATI side-folding, telescopic stock, all in Desert Tan colour.
    Also includes Magpul AFG2 Angled Foregrip. Includes Bushnell red dot sight.
    Includes 2 x 30 round magazine."

Not sure of the round count. Not sure what the value is of all the accessories but I'm assuming its a fair bit of value that's been added.

Rifle will be used for the occasional sport shoot.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: AK: Which to buy

You cant license a semi-auto rifle for occasional sport shooting.

Figure out which dedicated sport shooting discipline you would like to part take in and then figure out which rifle is suitable.

One of the easiest ways of getting DSS is through NHSA, go check it out and read up on all the different sport shooting bodies in SA which also offer DSS, then maybe go to a match or 3 (not going to be many matches at the moment though) then decide whats going to work for you

User

Sorry, forgot to mention that I have DSS through SADPA. I also recently joined NHSA. I intend shooting the odd match given my involvement in other sport.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    You cant license a semi-auto rifle for occasional sport shooting.

Figure out which dedicated sport shooting discipline you would like to part take in and then figure out which rifle is suitable.

One of the easiest ways of getting DSS is through NHSA, go check it out and read up on all the different sport shooting bodies in SA which also offer DSS, then maybe go to a match or 3 (not going to be many matches at the moment though) then decide whats going to work for you
    Yup, gotta get DSS first.

As for the choice between the two:

The Saiga is a very well made rifle. Its made in the Izhmash factory in Russia which has a good repution. problems I have with the Saiga are the fact that you need to do a modification if you want to use standard AK mags. I also personally do not like the muzzle device.

The T-56 is a very well made rifle. Its closer to the original AK designt. It accept standard AK mags. Its a cost effective rifle. The factry "66" rifle are the best (only available in folding stock configuration in SA from what I've seen) Factory "313" makes good rifles too.

I'd get the T56.

User

I would go for that second hand T56, its got all the goodies on all ready, but then again, gotta make sure its legit in terms of sale.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by batman69 View Post
    Hi,

I have a choice of buying one of the following new Aks:

A. Type 56 @ R7500 (fixed stock)
    B. Saiga @ R10 500 (folding stock)

Then I have a choice of a used type 56 @ R7500 with the following description :

"Fitted with aftermarket, ATI fore-grip with top and side picatinny rails, ATI pistol grip and ATI side-folding, telescopic stock, all in Desert Tan colour.
    Also includes Magpul AFG2 Angled Foregrip. Includes Bushnell red dot sight.
    Includes 2 x 30 round magazine."

Not sure of the round count. Not sure what the value is of all the accessories but I'm assuming its a fair bit of value that's been added.

Rifle will be used for the occasional sport shoot.

Boet, if you don't go for the 2nd hand Type 56, please let me know who's selling it as I'd love one with desert tan furniture

I'm a massive fan of the saiga, I have my own and dont regret one bit. truthfully you need to add attachments that would suit you and the way you shoot.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Does the Saiga have the factory muzzle break. If so then not even a debate. Even without it you are essentially getting the current spec factory rifle that you will never ever wear out vs the type 56 which may or may not be okay depending on where or when built. Accessories for the most part look cool but add weight.The Saiga has a side rail which allows mounting of a scope/red dot. Yes additional cost but the system is proven and not some add on.See
    Plus the Saiga folding stock is rock solid.

User

Either or

TYPE 56 just get quality accessories, I see some shocking stock sets being sold, UTG and the like

User

FOR some reason I cant post pics

But yeah PM me I have a few pics

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast