Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Question MOVIE: Danger Close, The Battle of Long Tan

Absolutely phenomenal movie with excellent videography and the Aus/NZ soldiers extensively use R1's (coupled with M16's) throughout it! A true ode and does justice, displaying what soldiers endured, well worth the watch!

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Danger Close, The Battle of Long Tan

Not historical correct.
    It's a feel good movie that makes Australians feel patriotic and great.

Its a "predator" movie and the hero is the Anzac soldier.

Always enjoyable to see L1A1 (Fal) in action.

The Bitch -
    Upon deployment, the SAS Troopers were armed with L1A1s manufactured by the RSAF at Lithgow which is comparable in size to the US Rifle M14 and not well suited to jungle operations…

To overcome this these rifles were field modified, often from heavy barrelled L2A1 automatic rifles, with their barrels chopped off immediately in front of the gas block, and often with the L2A1 bipods removed and a XM148 40 mm grenade launcher mounted below the barrel. The XM148 40 mm grenade launchers were obtained from U.S. forces. For the L1A1, the lack of fully-automatic fire resulted in the unofficial conversion of the L1A1 to full-auto capability by simple filing of the selector, or by inserting a ‘foreign body’ to block the sear.

They would typically be equipped with 30-round magazines, either the straight version specifically made for the L2A1, or the slightly curved on used on the L4 Bren conversion. (As this mag was designed to feed downwards it often had an extra spring inserted to help feed upwards properly).

The barrels were chopped to make handling in the bush easier, and to increase the sound and flash signature when the weapon was fired. When a contact was initiated, the typical SASR 5-man patrol would lay down massive amounts of fire, the sound and flash of the chopped barrels adding to the ‘shock and awe’ effect, disorienting the VC or NVA and giving them the impression that they were in contact with a much larger force.

To the Troopers this modified L1A1 was simply called “The Bitch”…
    Last edited by KK20; 21-03-2020 at 01:41.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

I hope I put into context the massive enemy force vs the smaller (heroic) Australian forces.

User

I watched it last week. Also quite enjoyed it.

Before watching the movie I did however watch a documentary on the series of events. Movie seemed legit KK20? (Obviously except for the added movie bits and bobs) Always happy to be corected however. Please point me in the right direction?

I must state that I do not want to take away the Valor of the Anzac soldiers. For this they deserve respect. They earned it.

A good study of events by Ernie Chamberlain makes good read. Most of the dead were due to artilary fire.
    Official figures were 245. Movie writers and armchair warriors inflated this.

No mention is made of these men on ground being let down by their own top brass cowards .

The tactics employed were based on racist perceptions of the "little Asians" being inferior and cowards ( by the top brass not those that fought).

Little is said of Corp Duroux who warned his senior of this a Sgt Buik. Later Buik was accused by Duroux of cowardice supported by other men in the battle and reported.

Duroux was a Black Australian and the superior was White.
    Despite the acts of cowardice and contravention of the Geneva convention, he was award a medal.

User

Special mention should also go the gunners of 161 Battery, Royal Regiment of New Zealand Artillery for their accurate supporting fire.

Default Re: MOVIE: Danger Close, The Battle of Long Tan

Where is the movie playing?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    Special mention should also go the gunners of 161 Battery, Royal Regiment of New Zealand Artillery for their accurate supporting fire.

I must say I have always held the NZ soldiers in high regard, they pulled my grandfather into a Willy's after he took a German Mortar and the Allied troops were retreating. He did say they always fought bravely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast