Page 3 of 172 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: national lock-down

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    Here are a few of my concerns with regards to the Lockdown.

* Most South Africans has a problem with authority.

* How will you be able to prove that you are on your way/way back to the Supermarket/Pharmacy etc ?

* We can learn from other countries Lock downs, but it will not play out the same in SA. Our country's tendency to hide behind poverty to commit crime will be a major problem.

* There is a possibility that the 21 days can be extended (My own opinion)

* Although CR mentioned that Supermarkets and anyone involved in producing food and transport there of will continue to work, I can't see the shelves full. There are just too many factories/farms/busineses that will have no or little production due to the lockdown.

As some of you may know I work for EMS.

I have been preparing for the worst since last week Sunday. But so far nothing ! Almost like the American Soldiers the first few weeks in Iraq during 1990.

Most Confirmed cases are in the Private sector. This is due to people traveling overseas and having a Medical aid.

To all friends on Gunsite, I wish you all the best. Stay safe and follow the guidelines. We're going to remember 2020 for the rest of our lives.
    We should assume that we will have a whole different ball game on our hands, we have very unique circumstances here. I don't see the masses taking this lying down but hopefully I'm wrong. We will be taking care of our workers as best we can, I hope it's enough. I think we should all do that, we cannot help everyone but we can help the people in our service. Best we can do is pray, hope and prep as best we can.

In this situation I'd like to quote Baz Luhrman in the talking song...

"Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as
    effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum
    The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that
    never crossed your worried mind
    the kind that blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday."

Aint that the truth? Who would have thought that this would happen.. We worry abut so many scenarios but I'll bet no one thought that this might happen like it is happening now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    I work in alcoholic beverage production (beer). We're trying to get clarity on if we're allowed to operate. We have millions of ZARs worth of beer in fermenters that need checking at least every second day. I can't see the big boys like SAB and Brandhouse shutting down completely.
    There were provisions made for "critical equipment" that required attention.

User

I'm working from home, that's all fine, with no hassles. My wife though, she resigned two weeks ago to start a daycare centre from home. Her last working day will be end April. She's supposed to start earning a salary from the 1st of May, to help cover our expenses. We live hand to mouth, month to month. With this issue, nobody is signing up for her daycare, and those who have signed up have pulled out. Without her income, I have no idea how we are going to pay rent. She can't apply for UIF, because she resigned. We can't do the business thing, because she doesn't qualify. We can't take grants, because we don't earn low enough.

Banned

Its gonna get bad for some people in the next few days.

Leave the next few days, its gonna get worse after the 1st or 2nd week. People that work tog jobs or for unregistered businesses or small businesses who can't pay them will have to resort to begging or stealing
    Either that or starve and die

Banned

And already some crap has started, one of my neighbors on our street watsapp group just posted that 2 guys stole their outside taps and were disturbed, otherwise the copper pipes would've been gone as well. The Skelms switched off the mains outside first.
    This happened at 5am

Ai dammit Toxxyc. I’m really sorry to hear about the bad luck that seems to have now visited you in spades. Best of luck with the next few months, it will be tough, but I think you’ll see some expenses being cut quite substantially. It won’t be only you, millions of people will be struggling and creditors will have to adapt to it.

Over here, in 3 days, 88 000 people became unemployed, with no end in sight.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Huge donations were made by just 2 people. If more people that can afford that do the same, to assist all in need, nobody would need to steal or loot. Hopefully it can work out that way. The army etc can assist in handing out food parcels in poor communities, that are financed through donations etc. If not done, how will the looting of shops be stopped?

User

Surely you must lock down the whole world for this to work, locking it all down now for 21 days means nothing if it’s not everywhere.

Say you lock down, and in two months when it’s winter, when conditions are much harder, when(not if) it breaks out again what then, do you lock down the country again and destroy what is left of its economy? Sorry people we have a breakout again now we close the country for another month?

I understand the need not to flood the healthcare system, but our healthcare system is in shambles already because of our political and financial troubles. Now you are going to cause a LOT of people to fall into more financial trouble, now you are going to worsen that which ails us most.

We already have just about the biggest crime rate in the world, now people are going to sit without income, now that will worsen very much.

We are not Germany that can deal with both the economy and the epidemic, we are a third world country with most of the people living in shacks FFS.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Ai dammit Toxxyc. I’m really sorry to hear about the bad luck that seems to have now visited you in spades. Best of luck with the next few months, it will be tough, but I think you’ll see some expenses being cut quite substantially. It won’t be only you, millions of people will be struggling and creditors will have to adapt to it.

Over here, in 3 days, 88 000 people became unemployed, with no end in sight.
    Yeah shit's been hitting one after the other over the past two years or so, to be honest. There's usually some comfort in knowing you're not suffering alone, but in this case, it's making it worse. 88k jobs lost in New Zealand, a pretty well developed country, wow. I can only imagine what it'll do to South Africa. The entire world is suffering right now, and we have no idea how long it's going to last.

All just because some Chinese bro looked at a bat and figured "man, that shit looks tasty".

User

Anybody hear anything about what happens to public transport? I didn't see any mention, only transportation of essential goods.

If it is shutdown, how are most people going to get to shops, clinic etc? And if it isn't then whats the point of the shutdown? Overcrowded public transport is like a petri dish for communicable diseases so it will still spread like wildfire and the economy will be destroyed for nothing.

Page 3 of 172 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast