Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Default Re: Hunting dog puppy training - Book recommendations and advice

They’re not called land sharks or maligators for no reason.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Default Hunting dog puppy training - Book recommendations and advice

I feel for you Socrates.

Started on my own journey with a semi proper dog about 3 months ago.

He thinks he is a lapdog/parrot. Does not sit with you, more a case of wanting to be a part of you.

Have completed proper puppy class and busy with obedience school.

What I have learned so far is that putting in the time, and lots of patience is the bottom line.

He is very good with his nose, and has lots of drive. In hindsight maybe a but too much for a novice like me.

But I am very happy with his temperament.

He is a mix Ridgeback/Weimaraner and GSP. From what I am reading and seeing ours behaves very much like a GSP albeit in the bulky big goofball body. Also looking for him to have some soft skills in tracking. His nose-work is night and day opposed to his obedience skills. And he loves pointing. Also a good running partner. I am just not able to do any real distance yet as he is only 8 months old.

Looks like we will be able to do some pheasant and other bird shooting soon for him to really get into the swing of things.

Good luck! Your thread has already given lots of good info and also being a sanity check for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Nice looking dog that!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    I feel for you Socrates.

Started on my own journey with a semi proper dog about 3 months ago.

He thinks he is a lapdog/parrot. Does not sit with you, more a case of wanting to be a part of you.

Have completed proper puppy class and busy with obedience school.

What I have learned so far is that putting in the time, and lots of patience is the bottom line.

He is very good with his nose, and has lots of drive. In hindsight maybe a but too much for a novice like me.

But I am very happy with his temperament.

He is a mix Ridgeback/Weimaraner and GSP. From what I am reading and seeing ours behaves very much like a GSP albeit in the bulky big goofball body. Also looking for him to have some soft skills in tracking. His nose-work is night and day opposed to his obedience skills. And he loves pointing. Also a good running partner. I am just not able to do any real distance yet as he is only 8 months old.

Looks like we will be able to do some pheasant and other bird shooting soon for him to really get into the swing of things.

Good luck! Your thread has already given lots of good info and also being a sanity check for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beautiful dog

Mooi

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    I feel for you Socrates. Started on my own journey with a semi proper dog about 3 months ago.He thinks he is a lapdog/parrot. Does not sit with you, more a case of wanting to be a part of you.Have completed proper puppy class and busy with obedience school. What I have learned so far is that putting in the time, and lots of patience is the bottom line.He is very good with his nose, and has lots of drive. In hindsight maybe a but too much for a novice like me. But I am very happy with his temperament. He is a mix Ridgeback/Weimaraner and GSP. From what I am reading and seeing ours behaves very much like a GSP albeit in the bulky big goofball body. Also looking for him to have some soft skills in tracking. His nose-work is night and day opposed to his obedience skills. And he loves pointing. Also a good running partner. I am just not able to do any real distance yet as he is only 8 months old.Looks like we will be able to do some pheasant and other bird shooting soon for him to really get into the swing of things.Good luck! Your thread has already given lots of good info and also being a sanity check for myself. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting cross. I would imagine the ridgeback would bring in a lot of stability to that mix. On our farm we had a line of Great Dane/Ridge back crosses that were quite popular with local farmers. Big imposing dogs that were very easy to live with and useful from a protective standpoint, shortish lifespans but lovely animals.

User

It's been a crazy couple of months (when is not ??)

It's about to get busier.

Friends of mine breed with Large Münsterlanders.

About a week ago they got a phone call from a hunter that took on of last year's pups. The bitch he took was not up to completing the first exam of the year. She was gun shy and had very little interest in game.

My friends live and breath hunting dogs. They thought they could get her to pass the exam, but they came to the conclusion that for whatever reason, she just was not going to be a hunting dog. So the next step would be to re-home her as a pet.

They asked me to bring the kids around to see how she was with them, one thing lead to another, and she is now with us. .

We wanted a second dog for awhile, but a puppy was out of the question, and adopting an older dog as well. We aren't against adoption, but with two small kids who still do stupid things, we did not want to run the risk of adopting a dog that has has negative experiences with kids that we did not know about.

Anna is turning 1 end of the month, and his house trained. We're keeping an eye on her and the kids. We won't be leaving them alone together anytime soon. She also gets along great with my GSP.

She will be spayed in the next 6 months. We're taking her to the vet today to hear about injections she can get in order to keep this house puppy free until she is old enough to be spayed.

I have given up on training Bruno for small game. I have no oppertunities for bird hunting. We are however training for our big game (in the European sense of the word ) hunting exam. Once we have that, we'll be able to legally track wounded game. That will hopefully lead to more hunting oppertunities.

Beautiful dog

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7