Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Hunting dog puppy training - Book recommendations and advice

Hopefully you will still receive a call.

I have only had Springers and Labradors although my hunting buddies have very nice Wirehaired pointers and
    Vizslas that are excellent dogs.

My first choice has always been to hunt over water and for that reason I have always had a Labrador. To me they
    are the Rolls Royce of retrievers over water. Their temperament is well suited to hunting from a blind where they
    must lie quietly but alert. The way they explode out the blind to retrieve a duck or goose, swim a 100 meters and then all
    the way back again is a source of incredible pride and joy. Nothing makes the dog happier either. He is also equally suited to
    ambush hunting on the river banks where he must retrieve through reeds, bush and deep mud. On land he is happy to retrieve
    but he gets hot and needs water to swim if the weather is too warm. When we shoot pigeons it is hard work for him going after the
    runners in the ploughed lands so I take things very easy when we shoot pigeons.

My Springer needs long grass and thick bush. His nose is 10 x stronger than my Labrador so he either retrieves the overflight
    winged birds or cripples in the bush and long grass. Flushing is his forte and I have never seen Guinea Fowl get the better
    of him even if the birds are out of range for me to shoot them. Very determined and stubborn about finding birds in the bush.
    They are quirky little buggers with a bold spirit but I am very gentle with him. They dont take kindly to harsh treatment because
    they are very eager to please and extremely intelligent. The way he hunts I can only describe as "low cunning" - nose to the
    ground but eyes searching everywhere.

At my age these will be the last dogs I own so I tend to be their buddies before anything else and they are very much "my dogs"
    especially when they make kak. Once you have taught them to hunt the game is on no matter where you are.

His expression says it all:

Attachment 31596

User

I got the pup!

A male Small Münsterländer. I can collect the little guy middle of May.

Fabulous. Enjoy the times ahead !

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    I got the pup!

A male Small Münsterländer. I can collect the little guy middle of May.
    Congrats. Well done.

User

As with all things German, they had to go an legalize Hunting Dogs: (I have no idea how it's done in SA or other parts of the world - so it may not be unique to Germany. ) I'm keen to hear how it's done in SA.

For any work done after the shot, I am legally obligated to use a "Brauchbaren Hund". Roughly meaning a " useful dog".

To qualify as such a dog, the dog needs to pass a state exam.

A rough google translate

§ 30 LJG NRW: "For tracking , pushing and driving, for every type of hunt for snipe and water game as well as for every search for hoofed game, usable hunting dogs must be used."

In other possible types of hunting, dogs may also be used that have not proven their "usability".

The usability of hunting dogs in NRW is based on the following guidelines
    detected:

1. Searching for small game (except roe deer)
    A hunting dog is considered usable if it has at least achieved sufficient performance in all subjects. This is about:

- Obedience (general obedience, behavior on the level, leash) - bullet resistance in the field or forest

- Bringing deer on the train (300m / 2 hooks)
    - bringing game birds on the train (150m / 2 hooks)
    - Free hunting and bringing game birds
    - Bullet resistance in water work
    - Search for lost fowl in the water with lots of cover
    - Rummage for fowl in the water with lots of cover
    and or

2. Search for hoofed game
    (... if a dead search of approx. 250 to 300m is expected ...). This is about:
    - obedience
    - Bullet resistance in the field or forest
    - Bloodspoor on the artificial red track, 300m / 2 hooks or searching for natural cold healthy or wound tracks

Admission:
    Hunting dogs that can also take part in tests in the JHGV area
    other hunting dogs of these breeds and their crosses can be admitted
    - the dogs must not be domed in the same year
    - The identity of the dog must be proven
    - Proof of identity and proof of necessary vaccinations (rabies) must be given to the head of the exam before the start of the exam
    - The dog handler has to prove a valid hunting license

Is this just an official statement regarding qualifications for certification of dogs in Field Trails? In South Africa (and most other countries) They have the same fundamentals with regards competitive working dogs and their qualifications as well as the basics for Natural Ability testing for working bird dogs, although it isn't a "legal requirement" one needs to comply with to shoot over your dogs.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Is this just an official statement regarding qualifications for certification of dogs in Field Trails? In South Africa (and most other countries) They have the same fundamentals with regards competitive working dogs and their qualifications as well as the basics for Natural Ability testing for working bird dogs, although it isn't a "legal requirement" one needs to comply with to shoot over your dogs.
    Successful completion of the field trials are a legal requirement for using a dog while hunting. I may get away with it if I hunt alone, but if I join a hunt they will control the usability of my dog. (The Germans police themselves).

I'm looking forward to the challenge.

User

Congrats, enjoy your pup, if at all possible, let it stay with it's mother until it is 8 weeks old, she'll teach it a lot about being a dog in the extra 2 weeks. Stuff that your pup masters in the 1st 6 months of it's life will stick with it for life, but in the same breath I have to warn you that each and every pup has its own personality and developmental capabilities and these has to be taken into consideration when setting time lines and goals. Please remember that if you make a strong connection with your pup and it seeing you as the Alpha, it will live to please you and training will be fun and easy.

Basic training needs to be on track before one starts retriever training, prior to this all retrieving should be part of play wth your pup, but even at this stage, use a specific toy for this part of play, as it will start to create the anticipation and drive you need when the proper retriever training starts. In the same vain retriever training should be complete before you take the pup hunting, I even recommend you personally not shooting on the 1st couple of hunts, until the light has come on for him.

I know it is too late for you now, but I have found that success in gundog training is a lot easier if the pup comes from biddable parents with a strong working drive, I have only had 7 gundogs, but I have been fortunate with each and every one of them and a attribute much of this to the choosing of a puppy.

House training is quite easy if you are around, when the pup wakes, take it outside, it will quickly learn that the toilet is outside. They also very easily learn that different spaces can have different rules, my shooting buddies always tease me about my lapdogs that like to hunt, but in the house they never get onto any furniture, unless someone invites them up, at which time the guest and the dog gets scolded, outside, around the fire, different rules apply and the dog's seem to understand it well.

Very important to always end a training session on a positive and never to make the sessions too long. 12 x 5 minute sessions a week is 10 times better than 2 x 30 minute sessions a week. As the pup gets older, you can lengthen these sessions, but never let the pup loose interest, trying to stop while he still wants to do more.

Food is a brilliant motivator for a pup, but combine it with verbal and physical praise right from the start and as the pup gets older, decrease the food as reward until it's reward is only verbal and physical praise.

Be careful not to get disappointed when you pup hits plateaus in it's development, it will progress in leaps and bounds and then seem to hit a wall, go back to something it has already mastered and finish on a high, come back tomorrow and try it again, wash rinse repeat.

I'm not a big fan of two pups at the same time, but reading your post, it would seem that your wife's pup is already with you, so if it's basic training is on track by the time your pup arrives, it should be fine.

I have found a copy of the articles I mentioned, if you're interested, send me a PM with you Email address and I'll forward it.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Successful completion of the field trials are a legal requirement for using a dog while hunting. I may get away with it if I hunt alone, but if I join a hunt they will control the usability of my dog. (The Germans police themselves).

I'm looking forward to the challenge.
    Get yourself a good network of likeminded and experienced friends. Field trial clubs are exceptional value and a great pool of knowledge and outings.
    Also, be careful not to confuse Field Trials, with Working Tests - they are two different things.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Get yourself a good network of likeminded and experienced friends. Field trial clubs are exceptional value and a great pool of knowledge and outings.
    Also, be careful not to confuse Field Trials, with Working Tests - they are two different things.
    I've already sent a couple of emails to schools and clubs close to me. For the moment I'm going to have to go at it by myself, until movment and meeting restrictions are lifted.

I think I am confusing the two. The info I posted would be closer to a working test. It's just to show that the dog has proven that it can do those things. Part of the reason for doing the exam is so that the dog can be included in my hunting insurance and for medical insurance.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast