Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hunting dog puppy training - Book recommendations and advice

Next question: Castration - yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Next question: Castration - yay or nay?
    This will depend on what you want to do with the dog. You may have breed restrictions if the breeder wants to preserve genetics. But I have never been a fan of neutering working dogs. In South Africa (and other countries) they will not allow you to compete in field trials if your dog is not whole. Munsties are generally sociable and friendly, as are the majority of working gundog breeds, so a lot of the reasons for neutering dogs are not valid for these dogs. If there are health issues, then this option is a real consideration.
    Again, a minefield. Opinions abound on this subject, but do what works for your situation.

User

Next question: I'm a tad overwhelmed by the different dog whistles out there.

Anyone care to make a suggestion/recommendation?

I use an Acme # 212.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    I use an Acme # 212.
    It there a case to be made for a dual tone whistle or can I get everything done with a single tone whistle?

I've used a number of whistles over the years. The best ones have been those black Acme whistles, not for any other reason than that they are easy to get hold of - mostly I've reverted to my own (mouth) whistle as it's always available.
    Two tone whistles, fancy silent whistles, it's all just marketing. They don't make the dog behave any better. You can train a dog to do a certain thing by banging a spoon on a pot, it's about the training, rather than the whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    I've used a number of whistles over the years. The best ones have been those black Acme whistles, not for any other reason than that they are easy to get hold of - mostly I've reverted to my own (mouth) whistle as it's always available.
    Two tone whistles, fancy silent whistles, it's all just marketing. They don't make the dog behave any better. You can train a dog to do a certain thing by banging a spoon on a pot, it's about the training, rather than the whistle.
    You are right. I get mine from S&O. Also used a normal whistle used by referees.

I have both my dogs trained to hand, voice and whistle. When I train in the park in my suburb people shit themselves
    if I use a whistle because all their dogs go apeshit. So hands and voice only.

User

No , as a hunting dog owner you have a responsibilityto further the breed. not all dogs are created equal,if he displays traits that are desirable in a hunting dog, breed
    Once the line is continued then consider Castration.
    Bearing in mind that he will probably put on weight, theenemy of a working dog.

Quote Originally Posted by tracker View Post
    No , as a hunting dog owner you have a responsibilityto further the breed. not all dogs are created equal,if he displays traits that are desirable in a hunting dog, breed
    Once the line is continued then consider Castration.
    Bearing in mind that he will probably put on weight, theenemy of a working dog.
    I agree with some of what you say, however, "desirable traits" are in the eye of the beholder, and good dogs to some, are not good to others - to a large extent, this is what field trials are for. Weight is quickly driven off a dog once the season starts and it gets busy - just feed it sensibly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    I agree with some of what you say, however, "desirable traits" are in the eye of the beholder, and good dogs to some, are not good to others - to a large extent, this is what field trials are for. Weight is quickly driven off a dog once the season starts and it gets busy - just feed it sensibly.
    I have hunted over field trial dogs for the last 30 years. Was fortunate to befriend Jim Immink and we trained and hunted together for many years.
    I stopped trying to convince hunters to train to field trial standard and justifiably so. Most hunters are happy to get a point and shoot a bird. The training required is minimal and the hunter has a great time in the veld with his dog.
    The niceties of tearing up the Eastern Cape mountains, of 300 meter rodes, downwind finds, backing and dogs working as a proper brace are not required in the field, but if you have that quality of dog it’s something special.
    Recent years we hosted St Hubert events for individuals and teams. The events are frequented mainly by hunters with good dogs. After seeing field trial dog work several of the participants have stated training their dogs to a higher standard which is great for our sport. But that is not for everybody.
    Only recently 2015 a Field Trial Champion also won the St Hubert.
    It all depends on what the hunter wants and if he has the time to spend on his dog.
    The better your partner is trained the more you will enjoy your hunts.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast