Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Hunting dog puppy training - Book recommendations and advice

Quote Originally Posted by tracker View Post
    I have hunted over field trial dogs for the last 30 years. Was fortunate to befriend Jim Immink and we trained and hunted together for many years.
    I stopped trying to convince hunters to train to field trial standard and justifiably so. Most hunters are happy to get a point and shoot a bird. The training required is minimal and the hunter has a great time in the veld with his dog.
    The niceties of tearing up the Eastern Cape mountains, of 300 meter rodes, downwind finds, backing and dogs working as a proper brace are not required in the field, but if you have that quality of dog it’s something special.
    Recent years we hosted St Hubert events for individuals and teams. The events are frequented mainly by hunters with good dogs. After seeing field trial dog work several of the participants have stated training their dogs to a higher standard which is great for our sport. But that is not for everybody.
    Only recently 2015 a Field Trial Champion also won the St Hubert.
    It all depends on what the hunter wants and if he has the time to spend on his dog.
    The better your partner is trained the more you will enjoy your hunts.
    Indeed. You and I seem have spent much the same time with field trial pointers, I have many happy memories of trialling dogs with Jim all over the country - one of SA's most successful field triallers. If you have been trialling anywhere in SA we will know each other.

User

Things changed here a bit.

Wife and I started reading the recommend material and a German book on the subject. We both soon came to the conclusion that we bit of way more than we could chew with two pups. We also started at arse end of the process. We decided to make the most out of it.

Then yesterday morning it turned out that that due to a misunderstanding on my part, I canceled my interest in the Münsterlander on Monday already. Mia Culpa. I was dealing with two people, different dogs, but same surname. I didn't check to I was writing the email.

So, needless to say I was quite upset with myself, but also relieved about having one pup less in the house. We got to talking, and wife said she liked the idea of a hunting dog more, than the pup she wanted. Her pup is from a herding breed, and both parents are working dogs on a sheep farm. She felt that a hunting dog requires the same time investment, but it will actually have a purpose here. She withdrew her interest in the pup she wanted.

After scanning through the official German GSP breeders association, we saw that a breeder close to us had a litter. We took the chance, and phoned.

We are picking up our pup on Sunday. The Vet gave the greenlight yesterday already, but an official from the association is inspecting the pups for a last time today.

The pups are from established and tested hunting bloodlines. Their parents are rated A2 for hip dysplasia.

The breeder took his time to show us the mother, he answered all our questions and volunteered info for information we didn't ask. We took it as a good sign that he has no internet presence, but have a couple of people driving between 600 and 800km one way on Sunday to come fetch their pups

So now we have one pup. The wife is keen to look for an older rescue for herself. She is going to help with the training, but it's set in stone that I will be responsible for the pup.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Next question: Castration - yay or nay?
    Some reading for you. I came across this article this morning and thought I'd pass it on for you: https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/gundogs...ing-dogs-90439

User

A picture says a thousand words.....

56C9F0EA-B19E-43CB-BF0C-E2CD0B62C408.jpg

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Some reading for you. I came across this article this morning and thought I'd pass it on for you: https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/gundogs...ing-dogs-90439
    Thanks

User

Quote Originally Posted by bchunter View Post

Nice! Looking forward to getting my pup to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by bchunter View Post

Indescribable pleasure.

User

So, the puppy has grown into a dog. With hindsight, a GSP was not the best choice for a first hunting dog. I was totally overwhelmed by the amount of effort, work, sweat, frustration, tears and a shitload of swearing that would be involved with this endeavor. It reached a point toward the end of winter where I was considering calling it quits.

I'm glad I didn't. The last couple of months we have been training with a group of other hunters under the supervision of three very experienced dog trainers. We've grown closer as a team, and I 'm starting to trust him and myself a little more every day. We have already tracked a shot roe deer, and started water work.

We will be doing a couple of exams later in the year, and he will earn his keep in Bavaria in November. His keen sense of smell should come in handy for tracking blood spoor in the forrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    So, the puppy has grown into a dog. With hindsight, a GSP was not the best choice for a first hunting dog. I was totally overwhelmed by the amount of effort, work, sweat, frustration, tears and a shitload of swearing that would be involved with this endeavor. It reached a point toward the end of winter where I was considering calling it quits.

I'm glad I didn't. The last couple of months we have been training with a group of other hunters under the supervision of three very experienced dog trainers. We've grown closer as a team, and I 'm starting to trust him and myself a little more every day. We have already tracked a shot roe deer, and started water work.

We will be doing a couple of exams later in the year, and he will earn his keep in Bavaria in November. His keen sense of smell should come in handy for tracking blood spoor in the forrest.
    Great to hear from you again and I am glad you persevered. All dogs are different but as your dog
    grows up he should become more receptive and easier to control. My own dogs are now 4 and 5
    years old and both are now excellent hunting dogs and companions. But believe me, we have had our
    moments both while hunting and during training. I try to keep our hunting trips as much fun as possible
    even though we hunt almost every weekend. Their enthusiasm is boundless.
    Please post some pics / vids.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Great to hear from you again and I am glad you persevered. All dogs are different but as your dog
    grows up he should become more receptive and easier to control. My own dogs are now 4 and 5
    years old and both are now excellent hunting dogs and companions. But believe me, we have had our
    moments both while hunting and during training. I try to keep our hunting trips as much fun as possible
    even though we hunt almost every weekend. Their enthusiasm is boundless.
    Please post some pics / vids.
    I'll see about uploading a couple of pics later in the day. My picture uploading skills are poor :) I don't have as many photos now as earlier. I noticed that he noticed that a mobile phone in my hand meant that my attention was not completely on him, and he took advantage of that.

I am looking at getting a second pup in 2023. The wife wants a golden retriever, but I'm leaning towards another GSP or a GWP.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast