Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hunting dog puppy training - Book recommendations and advice

Socrates how is your dog growing and developing?

User

No idea what the quality of this book on Huntandgun is but it may be a worth a look.

User

I came across that and when googled it, this thread came up which has been an interesting read.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Socrates how is your dog growing and developing?
    The first two years were an absolute disaster.

I bit off waaaaay more than I could chew. I didn't realize how strong the hunting instinct was, or how much energy a German Shor Hair has.

With hindsight, I chose the absolute worst breed for a beginner. I simply did not have the experience or the tools, to make the most out of it. I wanted to murder him a couple of times.

Bruno is not being used for what he was bred for. He is doing no pointing, and no retrieving. I found the training and exam preparation intensive and exhausting. Which would have been okay if we had access to hunting opertunities. But

Bruno has however embraced the family dog role. He goes with everywhere and he is great with the kids.

Not once have we come home from work where couches or cushions have been torn apart.

In terms of hunting use, all is not lost. We're preparing for the 2023 exam to qualify as a tracking dog for wounded game. I have more use and opportunities for him in that role.

Handsome fellow.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    No idea what the quality of this book on Huntandgun is but it may be a worth a look.

Water Dog by the same author is excellent for retreiver training.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

I bit off waaaaay more than I could chew. I didn't realize how strong the hunting instinct was, or how much energy a German Shor Hair has.

With hindsight, I chose the absolute worst breed for a beginner. I simply did not have the experience or the tools, to make the most out of it. I wanted to murder him a couple of times.

Bruno is not being used for what he was bred for. He is doing no pointing, and no retrieving. I found the training and exam preparation intensive and exhausting. Which would have been okay if we had access to hunting opertunities. But

Bruno has however embraced the family dog role. He goes with everywhere and he is great with the kids.

Not once have we come home from work where couches or cushions have been torn apart.

In terms of hunting use, all is not lost. We're preparing for the 2023 exam to qualify as a tracking dog for wounded game. I have more use and opportunities for him in that role.
    Very good looking dog! I don't think I can imagine the work involved. I've been tempted for a lab for waterfowl but don't think I have the time at the moment to commit..
    Last edited by Skaaphaas; 22-11-2022 at 08:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

Great article on tracking dogs:

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...hino-poachers/

User

Interesting article.

User

The son of a friend of mine runs a tracking and attack dog operation in NW. They deploy teams to bigger landowners that have high value game such as Rhino. They use Bloodhounds for tracking and Malinois for close in. Terrifying to see how effective those Malinois are. He has sent a few vids of the action which wouldn't do well on twatter or vleisboek.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast