User

Default Beretta 1301 Tactical | "Fatal Flaw"

*Click Bait*

I took the opportunity to indulge in the semi-auto shottie scene and purchased the Beretta 1301 Tactical ("Gen 1") some time last year. It's first outing post getting the licence was Steel Challenge (remember those?).

Much to my dismay I spent a metric shittone of time having to clear up double feeds on the carrier. Confused and annoyed I turned to that bastion of knowledge - the Internet - for sage advice.

Turns out the 1301 has a bit of party trick which is that it can induce these malfunctions on demand; and they're not the easiest to fix. I had read some mentions of this before but it didn't actually register until it happened to me.

Check out part 2 of the Lucky Gunner's review on the 1301 that explains this issue very clearly. The video explains the intended purpose behind the latch and demonstrates the double feed as well:-
    https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/b...hotgun-part-2/

I had seen this video on how to clear the malfunction but it turns out one needs longer, less dainty fingers for such a manipulation:-

Having experienced this issue a number of times already I'd have to say that the 1301 would not be my first choice for a home defence shottie. If this had to happen in a fight; well then I'd have a semi-auto 12 gauge bat in my hand!

That said, with enough hands-on time I could likely avoid the issue altogether and/or get better at clearing the malfunction. But I'd still prefer not to have to contend with the issue.

There are a bunch of aftermarket components that offer a shroud around the bolt release to prevent this from happening. The Aridus Industries latch is probably the most famous of them and also the most expensive. It was on backorder on Brownells last time I checked.

Just thought I'd share this story for any prospective 1301 owners and to get some input from existing 1301 owners and understand how they're fairing with this issue.

User

Default Re: Beretta 1301 Tactical | "Fatal Flaw"

I installed a Tau Development shroud but before installing that, I can’t say I had this happen to me too many times.

User

Hi Peace Officer

With regard to your query above, please PM me if you want the shroud I will be glad to help you out for peace of mind after the lockdown.

After a weekend of my family and I dumping a case of 24 gram RIO birdshot at clay pigeons, the round count on my 1301 Comp has gone past 1000. During this round count I have never had any issues with inadvertently the bumping bolt release and “flooding” the receiver with shells. However, it can most certainly happen and you can make it happen on purpose no matter if it is the Tactical or Comp.

A downside of the shroud addition is that you cannot manually eject rounds, say if you were practicing your all important speed loading drills for IPSC/IDPA etc. at your house. You have to eject by manipulating/cycling the bolt. Furthermore, the shroud and bolt are held in place by a T10 torx screw, the head will wear out in time if you change the shroud often, so finding and keeping a spare is a good idea.

Regards

User

Thanks for the replies.

It's likely something that can be overcome with sufficient training but I do worry about inadvertently whacking it at the wrong time.

Thank heavens for the venerable 870!

User

The shroud I have still allows you to eject shells as required, it just takes a little more effort to do. I checked earlier, you’re going to have to try very, very hard to release rounds into the loading port during operation. A worthwhile upgrade I’d say if you’re concerned about that issue.

Banned

Is this a problem only on the Tactical version or the Comp as well?

User

Quote Originally Posted by da_asassin View Post
    Is this a problem only on the Tactical version or the Comp as well?
    Same issue. Hardly call it a flaw though. In the many many rounds I’ve had through the gun, it’s happen once in a dry fire session.

However if it was a defensive gun I would put the device on.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    However if it was a defensive gun I would put the device on.
    This is pretty much the crux of why I posted this.

I've just recently picked up the 1301 and Steel Challenge was its first outing. I fumbled with this problem on each stage - operator error no doubt.

With the lockdown, I did a bit of an assessment of what I'd use should sh1t go sideways (I live close to an area that could get volatile in a hurry). The 1301 came up short for me as an option in a defensive role as I simply could not guarantee that I'd be able to manipulate it without inducing this malfunction.

Some practice should lower that possibility but it still exists for mere mortals like myself.

The 870 has in the meantime re-established itself as the King of the Castle!

User

So quick update.

Had the chance to run this bad boy at Swat last week.

My buddies ran it and without prompting, they experienced the same issue.

Granted, they knew about the problem beforehand as we had discussed it. Goes back to the prior suggestion of fitting the shroud if it's going to be on standby for home defense.

Still bloody fun to shoot!