Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Bullet proof jackets - what to get?

Good morning Folks!

We consider getting ourselves bullet proof jackets.

Some questions for the folks with experience:

Which level to get? I, II, III?

Which type of proofing to get? "Gel" type, kevlar, steel plates, ceramic plates? Or a combo?

Which type of carrier? Tactical vest with loose plates or dedicated vest with integrated proofing?

From what I have heard: one has a basic choice between maneuverability and protection level. Either better, heavier proofing and slower movement, OR lighter, less effective proofing and better movement.

Ceramic plates need to be replaced once hit, which might turn out expensive and impossible to do.

In an ideal situation I would like to get Level III vests which weigh 1.5kg each, and cost me R5 each.
    Reality check: we live in SA in 2020. What do we get?

My guess and planning: a LII system (handgun proof) with optional added steel plates for protection against rifles.

And kevlar helmets?

Thanks for the input!

User

Default Re: Bullet proof jackets - what to get?

It may be worth your while to investigate this local company. Hopefully kinder on the wallet. https://www.bodyarmour.co.za/

User

You get a Kevlar type that looks very casual, looks like a body warmer “sleeveless jacket” and they are pretty good as far as I remember, I googled them yesterday and could not find them I wanted to start a post but didnt get to it, maybe anyone that knows what Im talking about can comment because it looked like a good option for the Op as well as myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

By Casual I mean you could wear it in winter and 99% of people wont even notice its a bulletproof vest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I bought myself a plate carrier (from GS) a while ago. I think it is a lot cooler (less hot) than a full vest and most of the very critical parts are protected straight from the front and back. It clearly has its limitations but mine is for quickly on, in case of emergency and it will stop most rifle calibers. Have a look at Eddie V Tactical on vleisbook, I read some good stuff about them. Otherwise GS member Trundle had a full vest with light plates for sale a while ago.

User

Firstly, I am no expert in the theatre of warfare/social disruption etc. I don not profess to be an operator/serviceman/soldier etc.

I can however state facts, my opinions, which may or may not make sense or prove valuable with regard to your selection of body armor. I applied this theory when purchasing mine.

In terms of protection level, what are SA criminals armed with and can potentially or are most likely to have access to, in a worst case scenario? My thoughts, high likelihood of R series rifles in 5.56x45, also AKM’s/AK47’s in 7.63x39. At best, both of these platforms will be fed by some kind of surplus 55 grain ball ammo and 7.62mm surplus ammo, grainage on the 7.62mm unknown. Therefore my choice was Level 3 plates, namely steel with trauma backing. Curved front and flat back. Marksman/rifleman cut. Steel plates even with trauma backing are generally thinner than the other materials certified Level 3 and Level 3+. Please note, Level 3+ does also not incur that they will stop AP rounds, it just means they potentially could but are not currently lab tested to that level of protection.

In terms of the carrier, used to house these plates. Having no military experience, I went online and had a gander at many different peoples opinions on their setup, two distinct features kept popping up, comfort and modularity. I therefore went for the Condor VAS which can have additional AR/PCC mag carriers inserted on the front, it also has the connections for a “cummerbund” which can have Level 3 or 3A plate sections inserted to protect your body’s trunk from the side should it be necessary for more complete protection.

However, if you want to conceal your plate carrier, it will prove difficult even with all the modular accessories removed.I imagine it can be quite well concealed under a heavy coat. If you need to conceal under a normal working shirt, I would recommend studying up on the soft armour products, of which I do not possess or have any experience and cannot comment.

Furthermore, if using a plate carrier, it is very important to have an adjustable stock on the firearm, it need to be shortened when used with a plate carrier in order to aid in shouldering the rifle/PCC/Shotgun. This will also vary user to user.

Anyone have any comments on the Supervest plates?
    I bought front and back plates only (not the vest) to be used as shields. Gun in one hand shield in the other.

Regret not getting the vest now (as they don't make the Supervest anymore), but will keep an eye on this thread as I am looking to get some more vests.

Here is the Supervest video, please watch and comment, it's only 1:28 long:

User

Sorry, also by comfort I mean “maneuverability” incorporated into that. Apologies if my posts are always long winded, I try to add what value I can.

Regards

User

Anyone recommending Steel Plates obviously hasn't really spent an extended amount of time wearing a plate carrier with them. The extra weight ends up being back breaking.

I suggest a HPPE plate, in at least level 3. They are light weight and strong. Also look at getting a Stand Alone plate, and not In Conjunction With Plates that require a soft armour (level 2) backer to function to their specified level.

The problem with the body armour available in South Africa is that they have not yet cottoned onto making Multi Curve Shooters / Swimmers Cut plates, like done in the USA. They are streets ahead of anything else.

I would suggest contacting Camo at TheQuarterMaster and just having a chat with him.

User

I concur, the steel plates are heavy. If you are not practiced, well acquainted with, or not used to harsh excersize like proper weight lifting or endurance, you will battle to deal with wearing them for extended periods.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast