Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Effect of Parallax?

I have a 16 year old Gamo CFX air rifle that I use for offhand practice, I have not been doing this for about 6 weeks and the results show that. I rarely shoot this rifle at paper but this morning, disappointed by my offhand efforts, decided to check the scope and rifle on a target at 20m, shooting off sticks. The fault does not lie with the equipment.

I normally shoot with the scope, a 25 year old Tasco 3-9x40, at 3x but decided to set it at 9x for this. The 5 shots at the top target was fired with the scope at 9x and show vertical stringing. I then set the scope at 3x and shot the target at the bottom left, much better. Being a scope intended for center fire rifles, parralax is probably set at 100m. Is the stringing the effect of parallax?

User

Default Re: Effect of Parallax?

T...Keep your target at 20m and snug the air rifle into a rest with the cross hairs on 1 of the targets. Rifle must be secured as in not being able to move.
    Put the scope on 3 power and without moving rifle,look through the scope,then move your head up/down and side to side. Note how the cross hair moves on the target. Repeat on 9 power. That will answer your question.
    Unlikely though to cause such big movement,but check.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    T...Keep your target at 20m and snug the air rifle into a rest with the cross hairs on 1 of the targets. Rifle must be secured as in not being able to move.
    Put the scope on 3 power and without moving rifle,look through the scope,then move your head up/down and side to side. Note how the cross hair moves on the target. Repeat on 9 power. That will answer your question.
    Unlikely though to cause such big movement,but check.
    Thanks pre, yes there is more movement at 9 power but not enough to cause that kind of spread. I am pretty sure that I didn't pull those shots but nothing is impossible. I'll shoot some more and see what happens.

User

Vertical stringing can be caused by changing your shooting stance between shots. Hand between shooting sticks and rifle,next shot rifle resting directly on sticks ect.
    But,i know you know this...just go back to basics.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Vertical stringing can be caused by changing your shooting stance between shots. Hand between shooting sticks and rifle,next shot rifle resting directly on sticks ect.
    Springers are apparently even more sensitive to this than proper rifles.

User

And also not great for the scope. Tends to break wire crosshairs. The sudden stop of the piston creates an opposite recoil the scope is not designed for.

Banned

Most difficult rifles to set a scope in for, I have never battled with any rifle as much as with a pellet gun.
    Pre 64 said what I would have said in post 2.
    That is parralax playing with you, take same rife shoot a few shots with eye further back and then shoot a few shots by moving head to get cross on bull - move eye not rifle.
    You can drive yourself made trying to get pin point accuracy with a 100m parralax scope on a pellet gun, but you can certainly learn repetitive cheek to stock weld.

If you want to be happy just by a air rifle scope and be done with it.

I have several good Springer air rifles (2 Weihraugh and one Air Arms), and my experience is that they are extremely accurate, but require perfect technique. Your shot stringing could be caused by parallax, but more likely shooting off a rest. Minuscule changes in support and placing of rest will do this to a group.

Best air rifle shots are “artillery hold” where the rifle is quite free to move, barely retained. And the placing of grip and cheek weld is done exactly the same each time. Try and shoot off your open palm, with back of hand supported on a soft rest. Your group will tighten. Also, centerfire scopes get punished by an air rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Thanks for the advice, I shot three more groups, two at 3x and one at 9x and all are a similar size 10 - 12mm. This is not by any means great accuracy (±2moa) but is good enough for my purpose, offhand practice. I took great care to ensure a consistent hold of the rifle. This was probably the problem with the stringing group, having done the test pre 64 suggested, I do not believe that parallax can cause such a difference in poi at 20m.

As for the scope, I know it is not ideal but it is good enough for my purpose and have survived for ±8 years on the CFX. Those old Japanese Tascos were excellent scopes for the price. If (when) it gives up the ghost I'll replace it with a proper air rifle scope.

User

I have seen an old (non-adjustable for paralax) Weaver K-series scope on a target rifle where the owner managed to fix his parallax issues by glueing a thin washer right in the middle of the occular lens. Basically he created a peep sight which served to center his eye in the scope. Not ideal in my book, but it should work. A proper cheek weld should do the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast