Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: AR Platform Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by ZK1 View Post
    But then it would be really nice to have a real AR type................haha.
    Everybody needs at least 1 Freedom Stick.

Cant wait for mine to come home. Just waiting for the card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I hear you guys, and a 9MM PCC is on the cards.....

I don't really have the budget to get the sporting type guns, so will go have a look at a SIG M400 Tread today to get as much info before I make the decision as possible.

I shoot all our IPSC club matches at the moment and I am currently second in our club championship, so I really enjoy handguns. I shoot a dead standard G19 and beat most of the Shadow shooters, so I believe that it will take a very long time before I can outshoot the equipment.

But yes, maybe PCC is the way to go if one want a lot of range time.
    TBH you could do worse than the M400 Tread, not sure what their cost is, but I know Sig Markets them as entry level rifles.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    TBH you could do worse than the M400 Tread, not sure what their cost is, but I know Sig Markets them as entry level rifles.
    Just went and had a look the 16" is R24500.00 and the 11.5" is R25000.00

So far the M400 Tread "Looks" the best out of all the others I have had a look at.

But I am now looking into PCC as well, simply because of well 9MM ammo and more matches.......but we will see, only doing my Comp next week so I have a lot of time to make a decision.

I am just scared that you won't find some in the future, but I am sure that is not really a concern.

In my experience, there are significant differences between the different type of rifle matches:
    IPSC rifle is sometimes slower, but more technical. You will often have to make a decision between resting the rifle or shooting off-hand. So you find yourself shooting in lots of different (often uncomfortable) positions. Even if the range doesn't allow 100m shots, shooting at smaller plates can see you going prone or resting the rifle.
    Although I haven't shot a lot of PCC matches, it should be mostly off-hand, with speed, getting into and out of position and shooting on the move becoming very important.
    3-gun and multi-gun matches are just chaos.

User

I was quite disappointed to hear that we didn't get any M400 Elites in with the latest SIG shipment. Those are nice and they were going for sub-R30k not too long ago. I believe the M400 Elite is no longer in production; only the Tread models.

Had a look at the Tread today.

The things I like:-
    Has a nice Magpul SL-K trigger card
    Magpul-esque grip
    Nice trigger guard
    M-LOK handguard
    I really like the muzzle device

Things I'm not so sure about:-
    That handguard. Not sold on the look. Much prefer the Samson Series handguard of the Elites
    The marketing of the Tread series

I didn't get to shoot it so can't say too much else. But, if it's anything like the other SIG AR's, you won't find much/any wobble between the lower and upper.

I know of one place running a special on them for sub-R30k with the optic (Romeo 5) included. That to me is a pretty sweet deal if you're keen on the SIG option as opposed to the Ruger's, S&W's and the like.

Otherwise, go cheap and get a CQA and laugh at everyone else when their premium AR's choke on shitty ammo.

User

Ok so this is the plan, IF I can get the Python sold, the SIGM400 Tread is on top of the list so far, then I will get a rig like a Roni to shoot PCC or even one of our club members who is busy designing one for PCC.

I am not too worried about the handguard as you can buy one that fit's on there by loosening to bolts and you can add the more ventilated one.

So I am thinking of the 11.5", will just have to change the stock on it.........but that is where my mind is at the moment.

User

Any particular reason you prefer the 11.5"? You lose some velocity and gain noise on the shorter barrels. For sporting use most guys stick to 16" and even 18" barrels. I run a 16" mid-length gas system with a comp and it is quite loud according to some RO's.

User

Ok so this is the plan, IF I can get the Python sold, the SIGM400 Tread is on top of the list so far, then I will get a rig like a Roni to shoot PCC or even one of our club members who is busy designing one for PCC.

I am not too worried about the handguard as you can buy one that fit's on there by loosening to bolts and you can add the more ventilated one.

So I am thinking of the 11.5", will just have to change the stock on it.........but that is where my mind is at the moment.

If this guns true purpose is sport, you are wasting your time and energy getting an 11.5" barrel.
    Last I checked all the top guys moved form 16's to 18's.
    I run out of real estate on a 14.5, so I wouldn't bother trying to run anything less.

User

Why 11,5"? That would then be the M400 Pistol; which I don't think we have locally. If it were my money, for an 11,5" gun I'd look at 300BLK.

But, 11,5" for competition doesn't sound right to me.

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    Why 11,5"? That would then be the M400 Pistol; which I don't think we have locally. If it were my money, for an 11,5" gun I'd look at 300BLK.

But, 11,5" for competition doesn't sound right to me.
    Agreed, and 11.5" 5.56 would not make factor in any of the Action Shooting Sports. I would go for a minimum of 14.5" with 16 or 18" being preferred.

Also if you want short and go 300blk for sport there is a recoil penalty. Simple physics dictates heavier bullet being pushed means more force, which means more force into the shoulder.

That said it's not a huge penalty in the 300blk, but enough to be noticeable. I might add that shorter barrel 5.56 is also harsher recoiling than a longer barrel due to shorter lock time, and higher BCG speeds.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast