Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Saiga .223 bullet guide installation / LM mag conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Has anyone stress tested or torture test how reliable this conversion is?

It makes a good prepper option for SA if it works over the long run
    I did the conversion on my 7,62x39 Saiga and it works on all the different AK47 mags (USA, Russian, Bulgarian, Chinese, steel and polymer) I have. Around 750 rounds no issues.

When you get the guide make sure it is the correct one for the trunnion shape where it will be installed. 7,62 and 223 guides are not the same and not all trunnions are the same.

User

Mine is still functioning 100%. No failures as of yet. The surplus LM/R/Galil mags are much better than the cheaper saiga mags like the PufGun and (shit) ProMag options. Only the original saiga mags are better but for R1000 plus they're just too expensive.

This is a great prepper option and I hope more people consider this

Anyone torture tested these yet?

Can the prosess be reversed if I'm not happy with the bullet ramp?

Lastly, what will it approximately cost to purchase and install the ramp at a decent gunsmith?

Quote Originally Posted by KM02 View Post
    Anyone torture tested these yet?

Can the prosess be reversed if I'm not happy with the bullet ramp?

Lastly, what will it approximately cost to purchase and install the ramp at a decent gunsmith?
    Anyone???

User

1) yes as per post #11. Now about 850 rounds no issues. If you want a real torture test report (whatever that may mean or entail) you will probably have to Google USA reports on the matter. 850 rounds cost me around R5k to shoot btw.

2) yes unscrew the retaining screw and remove the bullet guide. You will have a small diameter hole in the trunnion but I cannot see any reason why that would influence the operation of the gun because that is where the Saiga mag with it own built in "bullet guide" sits when you seat a mag.

3) contact Hailstorm and enquire if they have any more of the kits available and what the price is. If a kit is available Gerrit will guide you to a gunsmith who would be able to fit the bullet guide.

User

I also recommend converting Saiga with a feed ramp, that's basically just a blob of weld as it's simplest incarnation which can be Dremelled off if needed. I don't think there are many unconverted Saigas in Finland.

You can't really torture test a magazine, they usually either work or don't. I would not accept any failures to feed with AK mags, mostly associated with the most polymer mags on the market and would go with surplus steel or the red Russian 'Bakelite' magazines.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    I also recommend converting Saiga with a feed ramp, that's basically just a blob of weld as it's simplest incarnation which can be Dremelled off if needed. I don't think there are many unconverted Saigas in Finland.

You can't really torture test a magazine, they usually either work or don't. I would not accept any failures to feed with AK mags, mostly associated with the most polymer mags on the market and would go with surplus steel or the red Russian 'Bakelite' magazines.
    Agreed.

I can say that I have had no issues in my bullet guide converted Saiga 7,62x39 and my 1962 AKMS with most mags. The mags I use which have no issues are Russian steel, Russian original brown polymer, Chinese steel, Magpul with plastic tabs, Magpul with steel locking tabs, Bulgarian Circle 10 Waffle mags.

I do not trust Tapco and PUF AK mags. I tried some.

Imo the very best AK mags I have are the Bulgarian Circle 10 Waffle Mags (polymer over steel) but they are not readily available in SA.

If I had to buy I would buy Russian steel and Magpul with the steel tabs. The Magpul plastic tab mags are excellent for play and train imo.

I would very much like to get a US Palm mag for my collection and to try our on the range.

Thanks for the feedback.

Between a saiga 223 that's already been fitted with the ramp to take LM mags for 19.5k and a saiga that doesn't have the ramp for 16.5k which one would be a better option?

User

Quote Originally Posted by KM02 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Between a saiga 223 that's already been fitted with the ramp to take LM mags for 19.5k and a saiga that doesn't have the ramp for 16.5k which one would be a better option?
    Imo you will quickly make up the difference in price and surpass it if you have to buy quality mags for the std Saiga.

User

that is a R3000 difference. R600 for the kit leaves you with R2400 to spare. That is about 5 R4/Galil Mags you can buy extra.

I'd go for the 16.5k Saiga and DIY the job. Or ask a mate that is handy and has some Experience with tapping. It all depends on how handy you are, honestly :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast