Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Saiga .223 bullet guide installation / LM mag conversion

This is a simple guide on installing a bullet guide to enable the SAIGA .223 (AK101 in my case) to accept LM/R/Galil mags (which are much cheaper, easier to find and feed more reliably than the cheap plastic mags)
    Converting the 7.62x39 saiga's to accept standard AK mags is the same procedure.

DO NOT DIY this if you don't have experience with tapping. Rather send it to a gunsmith

The SAIGA mags will require some slight modification in order to fit after the bullet guide has been installed
    Step 1: Buy the bullet guide kit. I got mine from Hailstorm. Think it was about R600
    Included is a tap, an allen-key, two bolts and the bullet guide.

You will need to have your own:tap-handle, shifting spanner and drill.
    For magazine modification you will need a file (a belt-sander will be even better)
    Step 2: strip your firearm to open-up the receiver area whare you'll be working and place the bullet guide in position. Firmly agaist the barrel and centered in the middle like so: (ignore the bolt in this image)

Then use a punch to mark your hole for drilling
    Clamp your rifle and drill the hole. a Drill-press will be better here, but a handheld drill should also work just fine. Don't go all the way through, just through the first base (youll feel the drill bit going through)

Step 4: Tap the hole. This is the most difficult part. Take it slowly and keep your tap lubricated (I used regular Q20 'spookpoep')

The issue is that the included tap is not long enough that the tap-handle can rotate freely past the rear sight base, as shown here:

I therefore used a shifting spanner to rotate the tap.

BE CAREFUL not to break the tap. Applying enough downward preassure as not to strip the threads, and reversing every now and then to allow the thread shavings to come loose.

After your threads are deep enough you can proceed to screw in the bullet guide.

Step 5: Screw down the bullet guide. Remember some Loc-Tite. If you didn't f*ck up the tapping process this should be a fairly easy step.Here is the finished product:

User

Default Saiga .223 bullet guide installation / LM mag conversion

Interesting thanks Vuur. I found cheap mags at Spartan for R350 a few years back. No clue what they sell for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Saiga .223 bullet guide installation / LM mag conversion

Modifying the Magazines:
    The Saiga mags each have their own integral bullet-guide. This will need to be removed. Like so:

BEFORE

AFTER:

And the standard mags (The bloody expensive ones)

Before:

After:

I used a belt-sander to smoothen the area where I cut off the bullet ramp. A file would work fine as well. Be careful not to damage the mag-follower.

User

Hi griffin. no problem. Jup, I also got one of those. I suspect you're talking about the "PufGun" mags like the one shown in the first image of my 'mag-modifications' post. As well as a "Pro-Mag" one from nobleteq. They gave me some feeding issues as sometimes the friction between the bullet brass and the walls of the magazine caused the follower to stay depressed enough for the bolt to moer the bullet into that 'integral bullet guide' causing FTF. It happened about 4 times in 400 shots, enough for me to justify the above conversion.
    LM/Galil mags are just much better quality at a reasonable price (R450 at Nobleteq. Swatco also has them)

And this also gave me something to do during the lockdown

User

Luckily I haven’t had issues.

You are braver than I, I would not attempt this easily.

I do find these AK 101 mags a bit harder to load up. LM mags load much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Has anyone stress tested or torture test how reliable this conversion is?

It makes a good prepper option for SA if it works over the long run

User

I've sent about 300 rounds through mine since the installation. No feeding issues yet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Has anyone stress tested or torture test how reliable this conversion is?

It makes a good prepper option for SA if it works over the long run
    And I'm definitely not torturing my gun like those capitalist pig Americans ;)

User

Can you still use Saiga mags with the bullet guide installed?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Can you still use Saiga mags with the bullet guide installed?
    Yes, but they need to be modified by cutting off the integral feed guides as illustrated in this thread. See post no. 3.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast