Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default what do you know about pellet guns? - Airguns.

As mentioned before I have my father’s fathers pellet gun and my mother’s fathers and my child hood friends father’s father’s pellet guns + Cody's first and then a few donations - about 11 in all. Some of these guns need a 12 inch elevation at 15 m and some shoot through a 4 ply board at 15 m. For a sense of own, they have one by one been presented to Cody for achievements and reaching next age.
    We usually shoot about 8/900 pellets a year, but have shot about 6/700 this shutdown already. All guns are old springer type and we usually shoot marksman pellets( because I grew up with them and Cody likes the box)

So now this shut down has given me chance to really shoot and Cody I have big compo's with prizes ranging from an extra movie tonight to back rubs and a whole day of fetching for winner.

In this period of time I have noted that pellet guns are females, they also have cat like f*** you traits.
    I have also noted that a bench rested perfectly placed Olympic worthy repeat shot may be 3 inches off from previous shot, and when followed up again shoot almost same hole.
    We have target competition ranging from shooting through a string to first 5 shots in the black ring. These compo's are extremely frustrating because the pellet guns shoot well and almost everywhere in same session, why?

So questions are:
    How often do you clean a pellet guns bore, if ever?
    How big a roll does the pellet play at 15 m.
    How the hell a scope does mounted to an action work on a break neck gun (the barrel surely settles differently every time)
    why some shots are so different in sound to others (the pellet dimensions?)
    We shoot open sights on all but one beast of a gun, but hell it still takes like 7 shots for 5 in the black at 15 m

Banned

Default Re: what do you know about pellet guns? - Airguns.

I asked around, both on the forum and elsewhere.

The type of bullet makes a big difference. Marksman is not as accurate as one would like them to be.

That said, I need to fix my pellet. Spring and seal is old.

User

While growing up, I had a family members BSF pellet gun, loved it. Had a scope mounted, fortunately it wasn’t a break neck, so didn’t have issues once sighted in and at that time wouldn’t have known better. Back then I was fortunate to have someone who would service it regularly so it stayed in good shape, Channing the springs and seals etc. Pity when I returned it the owner borrowed it to someone and didn’t get it back. Want to get one for my daughters, I still love the springer types , some how not interested in the other types. Finances allowing,hope to get one later this year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MohamedD View Post
    While growing up, I had a family members BSF pellet gun, loved it. Had a scope mounted, fortunately it wasn’t a break neck, so didn’t have issues once sighted in and at that time wouldn’t have known better. Back then I was fortunate to have someone who would service it regularly so it stayed in good shape, Channing the springs and seals etc. Pity when I returned it the owner borrowed it to someone and didn’t get it back. Want to get one for my daughters, I still love the springer types , some how not interested in the other types. Finances allowing,hope to get one later this year.
    does not matter how they shoot, they become family hand downs

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

My grandfather had a small tool that sized the pellets to fit his pellet gun. By adjusting it one could make a tighter fit etc.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    does not matter how they shoot, they become family hand downs
    Yes, that’s true.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Just got off the phone with my cousin that inherited my grandfather's guns and stuff. Apparently grandfather also had a brass ring that fitted his thumb and it had a stud on it. This stud was used to seat the pellet in the rifle consistently each time.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    Just got off the phone with my cousin that inherited my grandfather's guns and stuff. Apparently grandfather also had a brass ring that fitted his thumb and it had a stud on it. This stud was used to seat the pellet in the rifle consistently each time.
    This works. The old target shooters using springers all used to do it. Anything with a flat surface with a little stud on it, 2 or 3mm long will do the trick.
    Pellet shape and weight uniformity is also important and you will not get it in a box of any of the cheaper bulk pellets. Target pellets are normally packaged in partitioned containers to prevent skirt damage.

User

The biggest culprit is your choice of pellet. I am not sure if Marksman pellets were actually good or if we just did not know any better as kids. These days they are as good as the crappy Chinese stuff; i.e. really bad. Secondly could be your technique. Shooting springers of a rest is an art form. Thirdly ,could be the scope. If using non-springer rated scopes, check the scopes.
    Using super-duper high velocity airguns that shoot through ply-wood (if the board is big enough to hit) just compounds all of the above problems.

User

As said, your likely problem is the choice of pellets. Marksman pellets are not good quality. I shoot airrifles a lot as it affords cheap trigger time and helps with shooting fundamentals. I use JSB pellets and they come in different sizes within each caliber ( 4.50, 4.51, 4.52mm etc) to fit your rifles bore.

Pellet rifle bores do not need to be cleaned often as there is no propellant residue to deal with as is with firearms. Also do not use a bore brush, the barrels are not hardened and a bore brush will harm the rifling. I use a piece of weadeater string with a cotton patch and some gun oil as a pull through from time to time (every 5 tins or so).

Springer rifles are difficult to shoot accurately due to the recoil (yes they do have recoil). Look up the term "artillery hold". This is a way of holding the rifle lightly and allowing it to slide forwards and back during the shot. Hold the rifle the same way for every shot (consistency) and you will see the groups tighten up. Do not rest the forearm directly on a rest but rather on your hand on top of the rest. By resting it on a hard surface directly, it will cause the rifle to jump during every shot and not consistently so.

Scopes are also a bit of a hit and miss affair on springers. Even the most expensive big bore centre fire scope will not last on a springer due to the recoil. The recoil of a springer is in the opposite direction of that of a center fire due to the piston slamming forward during the shot cycle. Regular scopes are not strengthened for this recoil. Due to this, only springer rated scopes will last and hold their zero on a springer rifle. Maybe remove the scope and try using the iron sights?

Lastly, these 1100fps magmum springers as advertised are not accurate precisely because of the velocity. Pellets become unstable in the trans sonic and super sonic ranges due to their design. The velocity to aim for with these rifles is around 850 to 900 fps. There is a lot of English and American forums on airrifles and they have a wealth if information on all types of airrifles, but what you're looking for is "springer tuning" which is a science and black art in itself. Springs are shortened and spaced to shorten "locktime" and pistons are lightened te reduce recoil etc.

Good luck and enjoy. My boys love shooting the airrifles with me.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast