Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: A child's perception of God and how it works

There are people (and children) in the world who believe in a creator God. They see nature around them and come to the realisation that someone more powerful than a human had to have made it all.

The problem comes with organised religion (as in organised by humans). That is very successful in killing off any belief in a God (greater than us) for many. One has to understand that faith in God is not the same thing as "religion".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    One has to understand that faith in God is not the same thing as "religion".
    Agree. Not all who attend church are of faith. And not all outside church are faithless. It works like to overlapping circles.

I have probably learned more about theology and faith from ordinary congregational members than at university.

User

Why is a good religious debate frowned upon?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Why is a good religious debate frowned upon?
    In my experience, on this site, there isn't a good religious debate.

Things tend to degenerate rather quickly.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Here's the thing: That is not how forums work. You don't get to just blurt out whatever crosses your mind on here and then dictate what people can and cannot say about it or discuss.

If you want to do that I suggest that you start a blog and disable the comments.
    SSP - Way I understand it, we do not discuss religion on this platform? To keep myself in the green zone I made it clear from post one that it was not a religious post nor that it should become one.
    I also reminded Nyt Ryda he was under no obligation to comment or discuss (how this equates to dictate I fail to perceive.)

The post was about a child's perception in regard to the world around us and an interesting take on the oldest question out there - "who runs the show and to what degree". Idea's new and old expressed from an uninfluenced mind, I found it interesting. I also posted in the open section (speakers corner) so as not fall foul of posting in incorrect forum.
    The few who did partake, deemed the shared moment interesting enough, seemed to have little trouble understanding this.

But still?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    In my experience, on this site, there isn't a good religious debate.

Things tend to degenerate rather quickly.
    Yes I agree absolutely and that is why I stated it as I did. I was interested in how Cody got to this perception and what others made of it. I like the idea tat nature runs the earth and who ever your deity is runs your existence.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wthang View Post
    Thanks for sharing this treeman.

I agree it doesn't have to be a religious discussion, merely how you get different perceptions from kids and adults alike.
    The kids tend to just be a bit more truthful and without bias.

Would be interesting to know he he came to this view. What did he see, hear, read, watch etc.
    This is why I posted the post/question, we have just built a fire outside and i would like to delve deeper into his idea of how it all works.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    *********************This is why I posted the post/question, we have just built a fire outside and i would like to delve deeper into his idea of how it all works.
    Good luck with it. Looking forward to more of his mind :)

User

Treeman, i doubt there really is such a thing as an "uninfluenced" mind of a child. Even by trying not to influence, we influence.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Treeman, i doubt there really is such a thing as an "uninfluenced" mind of a child. Even by trying not to influence, we influence.
    You the first to say so, you on my line of thought. My first thought was along the line of where and who said what?
    I have a saying, " children are incredible things for in them lies both the future and the past" we give them the past in our education and learning and of it they will forge the future.
    My boy and I spend a very lot of time in staring down an ant hole or watching a Kudu that I may not shoot because Master Cody deemed the smaller Kudu to still need its mommy. “no Dad please Daddy, look he still hasn’t had a life"
    (there is another thing about this boy, he has an obsession with everything having to have had a life). "a decent life Dad" - " at least he had a decent life dad"

Back to post, I found it interesting that he drew to parallels of equal importance, one natural(nature) and one super natural( god or whatever), I know I am the author of that thought, but forget the script I carried over.
    Tonight I brought the subject up while he was hover-boarding around the fire area and all I got was that the bird would be dead now already so it a win win from here forward.
    "Dad do you wanna see me do a trick?' - Matter dealt with, new subject new moment eeeya ! let’s go.

A flash of brilliance and back to childhood.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast