Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Best optic???

Default Re: Best optic???

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Nkosi, which F-class discipline do you shoot that limits you to 155gr?
    Hi janfred

Here in Aus when F Class started (before I immigrated), they decided that to make the transition to F Class easy and attractive for the Target shooters (sling, peepsight, shooting in jackets lying prone - Bisley as we knew it in SA) and invented a uniquely Australian division called F Standard. It was supposed to eventually be done away with and have everyone shooting it transition to F -TR.

As it is a hybrid between Target Rifle and F Class it has some F-TR rules, some Target Rifle & even some F-Open rules, hence the 155gr bullet weight limit carried over from Target Rifle. One of the weird rules in F-Standard is of course that you can shoot it off a bipod like F-TR, or off a great big benchrest type front rest like F-Open.

Many shooters over here belive that F - Standard is a bastard division that should never have been invented in the first place but it is very popular.

My rifle is set up to comply with the F-TR rules weight wise so I can make the transition when and if I need to with no issues.

Having said that , I do not feel limited by the 155gr projectile weight limit at all. In fact a few State level Queens competitions have been won in F-TR using 155gr projectiles in the recent past.

Australian F Class rules are available at www.nraa.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf777 View Post
    Vortex just released the new Strike Eagle 5-25x56. Although I would wait for it to arrive and look at some reviews first it does seem to tick a lot of the boxes. Ffp, Mil/mil, same Ebr7c reticle as the pst gen 2. Has a bigger tube at 34mm but that allows for more adjustment as well, think it was a total of 110moa. Should be cheaper than the pst gen 2 as well so if the glass is good it will be a very competetively priced option.
    Depending on the shooter's eyes, the size of the centre bull and the distances involved, I do not think that a 25 power scope will have enough magnification. The aiming mark (black circles) on an F Class target is massive enough for the peep sight guys to use as a refrerence, but the X ring us scoped boys are trying to hit is 0.4 - to 0.6 moa depending on the range. The 800 & 900m X ring is 0.6 moa & 0.5 moa respectively or 127mm in diameter.

Only when the mirage is really bad do I reduce my magnification. Otherwise it is maxxed out at 42x all the time. The guys with the 55 x magnification scopes rarely use less than 42x as well.

If Pawin is going to do long range benchrest competitively out to a 1000m or yards, 25x magnification will not be enough.

Presicion rifle series type shooting will not need such high magnification.

User

Quote Originally Posted by nkosi View Post

If Pawin is going to do long range benchrest competitively out to a 1000m or yards, 25x magnification will not be enough.
    Hi Nkosi, Yes I amstarting out and our range is 1200m that will be my immediate focus but will be scouting for ELR ranges as well I want to see how far I can push myself. I understand that it takes expensive equipment but am going to try my damndest to get out to excess of 2kms. So I think maybe a 50x is called for. What is your take on a fixed magnification scope? Cheers Paul.

Hi Pawin

Just checked the 1000yrd international benchrest target dimensions. That X ring is only 3" so 0.286 moa.

That is tiny. Makes us F Class guys look spoonfed and pampered.

I only like to comment on my actual experience, so although I have hunted and plinked with a fixed power scope, I have never competed with one in any target competition. Having said that, in F Class shooting mine is a bit like a fixed power scope I suppose, as I always use it on the full 42x magnification, unless there is heavy mirage.

I do have a friend who used to use a fixed 36x magnification scope for benchrest competitions out to 600 yards and he loves that scope, a Weaver I think. He does however have fantastic eyesight.

User

Lol Nkosi, Nope my eyesight is not the best but can adjust the scope accordingly. I just finished watching an interesting vid on the sightron 45x45. Will have to do more homework. Cheers

Banned

I don't have much to add except that you should maybe have a look at the Athlon range of scopes as well. They are reasonably cheap, have a lifetime warranty and a few guys have won some LR competitions with them.If I'm not mistaken, Helber have been punting the brand

User

If you are serious about doing long range game and going to stick with the sport for a long time, There is only one thing I can say, buy once, cry once, buy the best optic you can afford as your going to be behind it a lot and you don't want to buy something which you will have to upgrade later as it is causing you not to see impacts or staining your eyes. Vortex PST2 is a good option and their no questions asked policy is great especially if you trying to stick a budget and not that into the sport as they tend to have good resale value as well when you decide to move on from the long range game. Nightforce is bulletproof and can not go wrong with the brand.
    If you wan to make your wife mad, then buy a Kahles, S&B, ZCO, Tangent Theta or the insanely expensive Hensoldt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4