Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best optic???

User

Default Re: Best optic???

At XSSSA we do pretty much what you explain. Have a look at the results page on the website to see what equipment the guys are using.

www.xsssa.co.za (very basic website to provide some info)

Regarding the Burris, I think it is an awesome hunting scope at the shorter ranges but falls short when doing the longer stuff. As you get into the shooting and learn about external ballistics you will realise it is not the tool for the job.

For a cheaper option you can look at the Leupold LRP, Sightron S3, Vortex PST Gen 2 (not the gen 1). There might be others but these are a bit more proven.

Fixed power SWFA is an awesome budget option but not available locally unless you buy second hand. They dont ship to SA anymore.

Give the Rudolph a skip because when you ask around you will hear stories of terrible after sale service. Dont think your scope will not brake, it is a piece of mechanical equipment.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User

So the requirements were a scope that reaches out to 1200m and then a rangefinder that I presume would range the same distance? Forget any cheaper range finder. The only item I've personally seen able to do it has been Vectronix units (that is range to 1200m+). They are kak expensive! I generally avoid the popular Youtube reviews, especially locally because they're either sent the product for evaluation or sponsored, thus pay way less for it than the man on the street. US reviews are useless because between ITAR and markup's, we're paying a lot more than they do.

Now, on to the scope. FFP and MRAD are good choices, though a lot of other people will tell you MOA is fine. I use MRAD on my Creedmoor. We are fortunate to live in a time when there are many brands of quality scopes, and new manufacturers coming in. When looking at a scope, always always try and look through the same model at a store to see the quality of the glass. It's no use having a 5-30 but at 30 power the edges are blurry and the reticle is shit for whatever reason that's happening internally.

Next, make sure of the internal adjustments. Some of the scopes that look great price and feature wise has only something like 40MOA internal adjustment in total (20 up, 20 down). Even with a 20MOA rail, you have 40 MOA, and at 1000m using my CM load data you need 32 MOA, 1200m is 44 MOA, which means you are out of dial and having to hold-over. There's a reason the IOR Recon scopes have a 40mm main tube, lots and lots of internal adjustment. They're also R50k+

Your choice in reticle is important as well. On my hunting scope I have a plex reticle as it's clean and easy to use and furthest I shoot with it is maybe 200m. On my 6.5CM I have a B24i reticle, simple and easy to use. A lot of tactical style scope will come with a Tremor 3 type reticle. Make sure you like it before just buying. It's a excellent system, but I am not a fan of it.

Other features that are good are items like zero-stop, possibly illuminated reticle for low light work, and of course warranty. Now Vortex has one of the top warranties in the business, which makes them popular, but other lesser brands like Vixen (sold by Camdix) also have lifetime warranties. Hell, I tried one of these Tac Vector scopes a while back because everyone and their dog was selling them, and after a failure only two months in, I sent it back and it was replaced...cheap scope, good warranty.

Back when I was in your shoes I did a lot of research and settled on the Falcon Optics M16 4-18x44 scope, but it was in SFP. Not a problem though because unlike other brands, this scope reticle was calibrated at 10 power, which I use all the time. At the time there was a local agent and I paid a lot less than I should have for the quality. It's survived two seasons of barricades, bakkie rides etc. When Falcon Optics released their new S81i, I had to wait, beg and plead, but eventually got one (they were selling faster than they could get them). I find them brilliant value for money.

** Disclaimer: now of course, this is my own opinion and journey, take from it what you will, the Gunsite police will be here soon enough telling me I'm wrong **

User

Lol pblaauw Gunsite police are welcome. It will just give another opinion. I am interested in your journey as it tells your story and experience which means I dont have to pay the school fees. I have made too many bad judgments re: scopes so far and appreciate your response. I have a Vector, UTG, Nikko Stirling(best under 2k scope for a .22) and some other very impressive looking Chinese scope which doesn't work. Maybe they need some repairs as I have turned the turrets passed the stops in aggrevation. LOl. But there is no one that deals with cheaper scope repairs. Maybe a second hand expensive scope is an option. Dunno. loads to think about.

I shoot F-Class, so prone with a bipod at ranges starting at 300m and ending at 1000m (ocassionally), with 800m being the 'normal' longest range. All ranges are known. I use a .308W and in the category I shoot, I am restricted to 155gr projectiles. I am shooting these projectiles at approimately 2940fps. The F-TR category guys can use any projectile weight in.308W and the F-Open guys can use any calibre up to 8mm & any projectile weight, within the allowed energy limits.

I use a Nightforce Precision Benchrest 12-42 power x 56mm scope with the NP-2DD reticle mounted on a 30moa rail as my rifle has some tolerance stacking issues between the action and barrel. Most guys with straighter guns will only need a 20 moa rail for 800m. This scope however has limited windage and elevation adjustment at 40moa compared to the Nightforce Competition models (actually the windage is more than enough, but 40 moa elevation is not if you are going to shoot past 1000m, but is doable depending on tne trajectory of your load and using the different aiming points on the reticle, although not ideal.)

The Nightforce Competition 15-55 power x 52mm has 55 moa windage and elevation adjustment which is a lot better. It also has a larger variety of standard reticles available than the Benchrest models.This is the most common scope found in F Class competitions in Australia and possibly the world. There is a reason for that.

Both the Benchrest and Competiton models are SFP and adjustments are in .125 moa (true moa, not somehere between nothing and an 1/8" as found on most cheaper scopes). For F-Class and benchrest, adjustments in moa are ideal, but obviously any measurement system will work as long as you know how to use it.

The Nightforce glass is exceptionally clear. Their warranty and customer service is 2nd to none (at leat over here). A friend had some issues with a well used 11 year old Nightforce scope and they repaired it for nothing.

They are also very expensive, but so is any quality scope. As you have already learned, buy once cry once. I had to save for 12 months to afford the Benchrest model described above when the price was still Aus $ 1800.00. They now cost Aus $ 2000.00 and the Compettion model described above now cost Aus $3200.00.
    Last edited by nkosi; 12-04-2020 at 03:50. Reason: Grammar

User

Thanks Nkosi, I am getting to realise that maybe using my UTG for now and saving up for a decent scope must be the objective. Still I hope to be able to cover at least a mile with what I have. Nowit the dilemma what is better a Nightforce, Zeiss, Swarovski to name but a few. This is not an easy game but maybe I should start ff with what I have (Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmore wit a UTG 6-25x56 and a next level suppressor). Maybe look at the rifle and see what matches its abilities. cheers

User

I'm going to be a doos and tell you I will be readily impressed if you go 1mile with that set-up. Not saying it can't be done, but I would be impressed

User

Ja shoot what you’ve got and then you’ll learn what works for you and what doesn’t. There’s also no need to go and spend R30k or more on a scope. As nice as a Vortex Razor or Kahles or ZCO is, for 90% of us, we can get by with something cheaper.

If you’re going to save a bit more and move away from your budget plan, put the Delta Stryker HD on your list too.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    If you’re going to save a bit more and move away from your budget plan, put the Delta Stryker HD on your list too.
    Yup had a look at Cyclops review it and it sounds great. Will do more homework on it thanks.

User

Nkosi, which F-class discipline do you shoot that limits you to 155gr?

User

Vortex just released the new Strike Eagle 5-25x56. Although I would wait for it to arrive and look at some reviews first it does seem to tick a lot of the boxes. Ffp, Mil/mil, same Ebr7c reticle as the pst gen 2. Has a bigger tube at 34mm but that allows for more adjustment as well, think it was a total of 110moa. Should be cheaper than the pst gen 2 as well so if the glass is good it will be a very competetively priced option.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast